How to Add Warmth to my 3/2 Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChameleonAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 3/2 mm wetsuit, and am looking for a way to make it just a bit warmer for my upcoming dive trip. What sorts of things have you layered with this sort of wetsuit, and how well has it worked out for keeping you warmer? Thanks in advance! :D

You could try adding a vest (hooded or not), hood, gloves, boots, etc... but I'd probably recommend another wetsuit. If you have a 3/2 for the warm stuff and a 7mm fullsuit for cooler water you can dive a lot more places comfortably. If you know your size, wetsuits go cheap on ebay. Can probably get a 7mm fullsuit for about $50 shipped.

--Jesse W.

That was going to be my suggestion ...a hooded vest. Added one to my 3/2 and am warm as toast plus my head (bare as it is) now has a little protection/insulation

'Slogger

I use a vest and hood (as mentioned above) when I need a little extra warmth. I've tried layering a 3mm shorty over my 3mm full, but that restricted my arm movement and was uncomfortable.

cheapest easiest way to stay warm, is to drink lots of water prior to the dive, and let nature take it's course.

only two types of wetsuit divers, those who do and those who lie about doing it.:D

I'd go with the hooded vest as this gives you a good amt of versatility IMO.

I've previously tried wearing a rashguard beneath my wetsuit, and I was warm only for my 1st and 2nd dives during repetitive dives, afterwhich I'll be freezing my butt off!!! In fact, I'd be shivering so badly even my DM got scared! :D Part of the problem was also my ill-fitting wetsuit.

I've since bought a new wetsuit which fits and a hooded vest, and am warm as toast! Hope this helps.

I'm getting a 5mm wetsuit for the times my 3/2 doesn't quite cut it. I've done the hooded vest thing, I'd rather have a single suit than layer on the vest, but YMMV.

Also, don't underestimate the value of a hood, gloves and even booties if you are normally a fullfoot fin type of diver. They can really help if you aren't currently using them.

Hooded vest!
The added warmth on the core is helpful. The way it closes the neck opening and integrates the hood is the magic IMO.

Just a simple waist up chicken vest. Most offer them including Bare.

Barely a blip on whe buoyancy radar screen.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom