How tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Barbie

Reaction score
I own a lycra skin wetsuit that I wear to protect myself from bumps and for slight warmth.

I recently lost weight and the suit is two sizes larger than my current size. I tried it on (dry) and it doesn't really seem that loose. How tight should it be?

We are diving off Cayman Brac in December and I am thinking of just renting a suit when I get there.

Any opinions/advice?

Thanks in advance,
dd

tight enough that water isn't sloshing through it. Kinda defeats the purpose of a wetsuit. if the water can roll right through, it's not gonna keep you warm, or at least not nearly as warm as it should.

There are two factors to consider:

As an abrasion protection suit, a tight fit may not be critical to you. Note, some folks think that a lycra skin is too thin to protect you from things like fire coral (accidents happen) or some jelly fish.

As a thermal protection suit, fit is very important, as bcsean pointed out. Any water that goes through your suit is carrying away heat. I've seen people dive two or three tank dives in the Caribbean without any suit and do just fine. I've seen people with skins or 3mm suits shiver at the end of the second dive. Some people need 5mm.

You night want to bring the lycra suit and try it. Then, if you need more protection, you could rent one.

Enjoy Cayman Brac!

Carbon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom