How tight to trim wrist seals on a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No it doesn't. It actually states the opposite, i.e. that any material has at least some ability to return to its original shape after being stretched out.

What you want to prove is that latex is somewhat ductile, i.e. that it is capable of deformation beyond its elastic limit. In other words that you can stretch it out without it breaking and let go without it rebounding to its original shape.

Any material can be stretched beyond its elastic limit at least a small amount. If you stretch way to much it will break though.

Go try it out. Measure a latex neck seal, then go place it over a big coffee can for a week. Let it sit for a week and measure it again.

Stretching is not a valid way to size a neck seal. Cutting is.

I was thinking about this and it is not about changing the size of the seal but the elasticity of it. The size can be the exact same as long as it does not squeeze as hard. Kinda like a rubber ballon. You pre-stretch it so you can blow it up. It pretty much returns to the same size, but it helps allow it to expand.

I do know for a fact that drysuit seals do have less tension on them over time.

I don't know the physics of it and whatnot, but I streched my latex neck seal a few times and it fits better now. Maybe its psychosomatic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom