How tight should spring straps fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongobob

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 125 dives or so, I decided I should join the masses and get stainless steel spring straps. I'm a size 13 wide, and the straps I ordered were for size 11 through 15. I'm used to have my fins TIGHT, for fear of losing them when I bail over the side of the boat. My feet actually wiggle a LITTLE in the fins with these straps. They are SO comfortable, but I'm afraid of them coming off and sinking in 100 feet of water. Advice? I'm diving with Blue XT Sea in COZ tomorrow, and losing my fins would be a bad start to my trip.

Thanks,
Bob

Mine are only under slight tension. You don't want them too tight, or they'll dig in to the back of your heel or tendon.

-Mitch

Usually just enough to still have a little tension once you foot fully seats in the fin. That may be a few minutes into the dive. By then they should be wedged on such that straps are almost optional.

If your fins need to bound on tight due to wiggle they may be a tad big for you and your boots.

Pete

Spring straps come in different sizes... I had some that were very tight, to the point that I broke the rubber loop on one hauling them off [I'm a size 13 as well]. You might want to do a little shopping and see if you can find a different size.

Little tension, nothing more.

When I start the dive the spring is under a very little tension. By the end of the dive it is almost ready to slide off the heel of my boot, but not quite. Foot is in the pocket pretty snug by the end of the dive so I don't need the strap to do much of anything.

---------- Post Merged at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:03 PM ----------

double post

Just enough tension on mine that I have to pull the strap away from my heel to get them off--just a little. You don't want them too tight.

I read somewhere a long time ago, that you should measure the distance from attachment point-to attachment point.

Take the measurement with your foot in the fin, and measure around your heel.
The correct size spring is supposed to be about a 1.00" to 1.50" inch smaller than that measurement. That will be about the correct tension.

Mine ended up being about that......The fit is good.

Light tension. If your foot is wiggling, try putting on some socks under your booties. Sometimes fins are just a little too big and you may have been compensating by cranking down your old straps. If this is the case, you might need to purchase new booties that have larger external dimensions (bigger sole). There is a lot of variation between designs.

Thanks for responding everyone. With your information I knew what to look for. There is NO tension on the springs once I bring them over the heel of my booties, so they are obviously too long/big. Bummer! The original straps are back on for this trip. Again, thanks!

PS - I should have posed this question BEFORE I was here in COZ. Hopefully I will be smarter next time!

Back
Top Bottom