How strong is a 1 knot current for diving in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also: even if you are in good condition, don't underestimate the significant impact that working against even a 1 knot current will have on your gas consumption rate.
Or in CO2 buildup and increase in narcosis level on 100 foot deep dives !

There are several sections in this video where you can see the male and female sex organs sticking out, which means that they were moments before or after release of eggs or sperm. This was one thing the scientists had never seen before.

Oh I thought you had filmed spawning of jewfish. I've tried to capture it as well. Keep trying.

Oh I thought you had filmed spawning of jewfish. I've tried to capture it as well. Keep trying.
I have some clips right around where the sex organs are out, where the water is being silted heavily, and it also appears to have spawn release....If this is not in this clip compilation, I'll have to look around for one of the other ones....there is about 30 minutes more of footage....!! A little too much to include in a single Youtube video...but I can add clips.

I have some clips right around where the sex organs are out, where the water is being silted heavily, and it also appears to have spawn release....If this is not in this clip compilation, I'll have to look around for one of the other ones....there is about 30 minutes more of footage....!! A little too much to include in a single Youtube video...but I can add clips.

Capturing of spawning activity on video would be very exciting. I expect to see some dramatic behavior and also sound production, but who knows. I think we would also see some interesting behavoiral responses from the bait fish that are swarming around too.

Doesn't sound like you got the money shot, yet...

Capturing of spawning activity on video would be very exciting. I expect to see some dramatic behavior and also sound production, but who knows. I think we would also see some interesting behavoiral responses from the bait fish that are swarming around too.

Doesn't sound like you got the money shot, yet...
The marine biologists that have been viewing the footage are considering this as money shots, as far as they are concerned !! ....Of course the money for U/w video is more like my two cents worth, or your two cents worth :) A few dozen more and maybe I can buy some coffee :)

The marine biologists that have been viewing the footage are considering this as money shots, as far as they are concerned !! ....Of course the money for U/w video is more like my two cents worth, or your two cents worth :) A few dozen more and maybe I can buy some coffee :)

Oh I think you will know it when you capture the money shot, Dan. :eyebrow:

Dan - thanks for sharing that video - I guess I'm a confirmed "dive dork" because I watched the entire thing going "wow"! :dork2:

Mike, just use your scooter and you won't even notice the 1 knot! LOL! I've done drift dives in 1 knot and you are moving. Mike, you don't (and in particular your buddy) want to be finning against it to get back to your entry point.

Since we are off topic, maybe you would find this interesting, if you haven't seen it.

Video: Super Grouper | Watch Changing Seas Online | WPBT2 Video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom