How strong is a 1 knot current for diving in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some very cool video of a dive many of you would flip out over, even with the current as strong as it is....this is a 1 am or so in the morning dive, off of Jupiter, in about 100 feet of water, during an event never before filmed by anyone, and an event never before seen by scientists. This is the first Spawning Event ever filmed of Goliath Groupers. The current is about 2.5 to 3 mph. In the protection of the wrecks, you don't see current. As you see the video following the big fish, across expanses of bottom without the protection of structure, you can see the Goliaths actually being pushed sideways by the big current, sometimes barely making headway against it. I have my video camera mounted on a big Gavin ( cave scooter) that at full speed can just barely stay even with current if I head into it, but I then swim at full speed to turbo boost the scooter, and with my monster DiveR freedive fins, I net about 1 mph into the current for a few minutes at a time, before I have to catch up on my breathing.

Go to my new issue of South Florida Dive Journal > Home and click on the article on "The Spawning". I am showing the link this way, because there is a great overview minute by minute by the scientist that was with us, the woman who figured out the timing on when these huge fish would mate. She has also found absolute proof that Goliaths do NOT eat the fish the Fishing lobby claims they do--whenever they bring up the desire for creating a "season" for fishing Goliaths...so Sarah's paper on this when it comes out, will shut down this nonsense once and for all!!!!

p.s
I actually have a few hours of final editing and spell checks before I really wanted to announce this new issue, but the video fits this thread so well, I am jumping the gun a bit....

My point is that big current dives can be very worthwhile. But a diver needs to optimize their diving configuration and practices, to really enjoy this.
Although, there were a few divers ( pretty famous photographers) that just got on the lee side of a big bottom structure, and dumped all aior from BC, then stood on the sandy bottom for the duration of the dive :) I have some shots not shown here, of some of the shooters trying to move against the current, with their split fins failing to move them forward... But I would have to render that to an mp4, and upload.. :)

For the typical recreational diver, you will be able to hold your own against 1 knot of current for a short duration ... depending on individual fitness and how well trimmed you are. But it won't be much fun, unless you're really into aerobic activities. For most of us, anything over about a half-knot becomes more effort to kick against than it's worth for more than a couple minutes at a time.

People tend to overestimate how well they can do against current. Water's really heavy stuff, and when it's hitting you in the face, it quickly becomes an irresistable force.

This picture, which I took recently in the Maldives, shows divers in about 1.5 to 2 knots of current ... note that they're not trying to swim against it ...

EagleRay-1-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Are these guys using coral anchors?

Those are reef hooks. On this particular reef, the careful diver can easily find bare rocks to hook into, although in some cases I don't doubt they were hooking into corals ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OP, Dive the slack /ebb. My favorite bug site has a 1-2knot current, 0 knots @ slack / ebb for about 20-40 min depending on the moon etc. You may also find some strange current effects; example the site I mentioned can sometime have the current at the surface going one way and the current at the bottom going the other way. I found I can extend my dive time to a full hour + by using the currents to my advantage.

OP, Dive the slack /ebb. My favorite bug site has a 1-2knot current, 0 knots @ slack / ebb for about 20-40 min depending on the moon etc. You may also find some strange current effects; example the site I mentioned can sometime have the current at the surface going one way and the current at the bottom going the other way. I found I can extend my dive time to a full hour + by using the currents to my advantage.

I've done dives like that ... some of the walls at Quadra Island (BC) are known for strong currents ... and diving them at slack is like going up a cliffside doing switchbacks ... the current changes direction every 10 or so feet. Sometimes you can do an hourlong drift dive and end up just a few feet from where you started ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have some very cool video of a dive many of you would flip out over, even with the current as strong as it is....this is a 1 am or so in the morning dive, off of Jupiter, in about 100 feet of water, during an event never before filmed by anyone, and an event never before seen by scientists. This is the first Spawning Event ever filmed of Goliath Groupers. The current is about 2.5 to 3 mph. In the protection of the wrecks, you don't see current. As you see the video following the big fish, across expanses of bottom without the protection of structure, you can see the Goliaths actually being pushed sideways by the big current, sometimes barely making headway against it. I have my video camera mounted on a big Gavin ( cave scooter) that at full speed can just barely stay even with current if I head into it, but I then swim at full speed to turbo boost the scooter, and with my monster DiveR freedive fins, I net about 1 mph into the current for a few minutes at a time, before I have to catch up on my breathing.

Go to my new issue of South Florida Dive Journal > Home and click on the article on "The Spawning". I am showing the link this way, because there is a great overview minute by minute by the scientist that was with us, the woman who figured out the timing on when these huge fish would mate. She has also found absolute proof that Goliaths do NOT eat the fish the Fishing lobby claims they do--whenever they bring up the desire for creating a "season" for fishing Goliaths...so Sarah's paper on this when it comes out, will shut down this nonsense once and for all!!!!

p.s
I actually have a few hours of final editing and spell checks before I really wanted to announce this new issue, but the video fits this thread so well, I am jumping the gun a bit....

Cool video. When exactly did the spawning occur? minutes and seconds please?

Cool video. When exactly did the spawning occur? minutes and seconds please?
There are several sections in this video where you can see the male and female sex organs sticking out, which means that they were moments before or after release of eggs or sperm. This was one thing the scientists had never seen before.

Just a couple of reminders that go back to your first certification course. When there is current, start your dive into it, finish going with it. Also. If you want to hold on to something to pause for a photo or to view something, grab or touch only dead things, or if none are available, be as minimally invasive as possible- finger tip hold vs. "grabbing".
DivemasterDennis

Also: even if you are in good condition, don't underestimate the significant impact that working against even a 1 knot current will have on your gas consumption rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom