How smaller is a neck neoprene compared to your neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never had anything else than neoprene, so I can’t compare.

Neoprene looks sturdy to me.

Is there a reason to prefer the other ones?
The others are preferred as that is what one can stock in a shop and fit everybody that walks in.
Neoprene necks are custom fit to the customer, it adds cost therefore shops will typically talk someone out of them.
With a roll under style neoprene, it should fit your neck perfectly with no slop before folding in. That makes it about 6-10mm smaller than your neck when folded properly.
They are easy to re-size, slice it longways about 3". Remove about 1/8" material, glue the edges back together with neoprene cement. That is all Santi will do when you send it back for adjustment.

I don't care for wearing hoods If I can avoid it but I feel if my neoprene neck seal didn't work on my Santi Elite.. which it does this would be the ticket.

I have a thick neck but I measured it then told Santi my neck was a hair smaller. Little squeeze but no leaking.

Apparently Santi is having difficulties for neoprene neck supplies.

The local service centre proposed that I get a 38cm neck (my neck is about 41.5cm).

I guess eventually it would stretch to the right size.

Do you guys know if there is any drawback for having a smaller size for a neoprene neck and stretching it ?

Stretching out neoprene reduces it's thermal protection. Just how much is hard to say. If it's just the neck, that may not matter.

Why not go with silicone or latexneck seals? I've got them on my drysuit and it's tight yet comfortable (enough).

Also makes swapping out a damaged seal something simple to do right at the dive site.
ImageGen.ashx

Stretching out neoprene reduces it's thermal protection. Just how much is hard to say. If it's just the neck, that may not matter.

Why not go with silicone or latexneck seals? I've got them on my drysuit and it's tight yet comfortable (enough).

Also makes swapping out a damaged seal something simple to do right at the dive site.
ImageGen.ashx
I took neoprene because that’s what I know :)

But it’s already ordered, I don’t want to pay to change the neck now.

If I change it again or order a new drysuit I’ll consider it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom