How smaller is a neck neoprene compared to your neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have ordered a Santi Elite+, got it recently and have had quite some troubles with the neoprene neck.

After waiting 5 months for the order to be completed tested in the pool, it leaked. I realised they made a mistake in the neck size (they made it for a neck circumference of 45cm instead of 41)

It was sent back to the local service centre and then I tried it yesterday but it was leaking by the neck.

I measured the neck at the place I’d fold it and at the top:
  • At the top it is about 38cm
  • At the place where I’d would fold it is still about 43cm
I think they must have cut a slice on the top but not reduce across the whole length of the neoprene neck
My old drysuit has about 35cm in both places and it is just fine for me, the neoprene is stretchy.

Does anyone have a thumb of rule about how much the neoprene neck should be shorter than your own neck size to be comfortable but not leaking?

At this rate, I am gonna dive with it in 2022 :eek:

I have pictures I can post later, once I have removed my face :p

I am not pulling the neck on this picture there is a gap at the top of the fold

DB80-F6-A1-85-C0-4421-862-D-52-D4-EEC6-BAF8.jpg

I think I’ve read of people using the Bioseal thing to add more width to their neck to use a too large seal. Probably a stop gap measure but if you don’t want to be without your suit.

I've been having this issue lately. I lost a little weight so the drysuit would fit better with heavy undergarments... and now the neck is too loose:) ...go figure.

I bought a way over priced bio seal like @Marie13 suggested. Trying it out this weekend, I'll let you know.

If this doesn't work I'll put on a sitech silicone seal.

Ah cool, mine is new so I can probably get it fixed by Santi for free, because the last fix was botched.

I was curious about how much smaller the neck seal is compared to your own neck circumference.

It looks like Santi service centre tried to make it 2-3cm less than my own neck circumference, but that didn’t feel tight enough.

Cool hack with the bio seal though :)

Ah cool, mine is new so I can probably get it fixed by Santi for free, because the last fix was botched.

I was curious about how much smaller the neck seal is compared to your own neck circumference.

It looks like Santi service centre tried to make it 2-3cm less than my own neck circumference, but that didn’t feel tight enough.

Cool hack with the bio seal though :)

Curious why you went with neoprene and not silicone?

I like the way the neoprene feels, I just hate being stuck with it when something like this happens. I always thought I could get the sitech quickneck and then the waterproof neo seal that clips in...so I could always change it out if need be.

I just haven't got the balls to cut the neck on my suit just yet:)

Curious why you went with neoprene and not silicone?

I like the way the neoprene feels, I just hate being stuck with it when something like this happens. I always thought I could get the sitech quickneck and then the waterproof neo seal that clips in...so I could always change it out if need be.

I just haven't got the balls to cut the neck on my suit just yet:)
I never had anything else than neoprene, so I can’t compare.

Neoprene looks sturdy to me.

Is there a reason to prefer the other ones?

Sitech make a user replaceable neck seal. It comes with a silicone seal.

Waterproof makes a neoprene seal that fits into the sitech replacement system.

I'm saying with the user replaceable system you can choose either or. With a neoprene seal on the suit you're stuck with it (which isn't bad...until it leaks).

Make sense? I think for the sitech system and then the waterproof neoprene part you're looking at around $200 in parts, and that's before install of course. Another reason I haven't done it yet. Balls and money!

Edit: I've never dove with a silicone neck, so idk. All the guys I dive with use them and like it alot. Less prone to leaks maybe? Idk...

Silicone is very comfortable for me. I had a latex seal for a while and it sucked. I was so glad when I got my current suit and went back to silicone.

I'm a big fan of my neoprene neck seal. As long as I don't look down!
Adding a hood solves all of my leaking issues, even if I don't have it up over my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom