How should a semi dry fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately we don’t have access to a pool where we can test our gear. We’re both new divers and not familiar with suit squeeze but will look that up! Thanks for the info!

Put the suit on and hop in the shower for a few minutes. See if the fit of the suit relaxes a bit.

Imagine the suit fitting like a good handshake...it should hug comfortably all around, and feel slightly restrictive, but should not be painful/uncomfortable.

It is normal for any seam glue or tape that is not perfectly flat to be felt against the skin and this might cause some localized discomfort, but can be easily alleviated by wearing underarmour/rashguard/running tights/shark skin type lycra clothing under the semi-dry. A layer of lycra will also help with keeping one warm, especially if/when water enters the suit.

If the suit is overly restrictive or is painful due to reduced circulation or points of pressure/chafing/etc....then the fit is not good and you should look for a different size or model of suit that fits better.

-Z

From my experience with my 7mm semi-dry there definitely is squeeze which will leave seam marks on your skin. On the very first dive with it I almost thought I had made a bad call with size. It wasn’t really comfortable during the dive even. The more I dove it the better it felt though and soon I was pretty sure I had the right size. That being said it still leaves seam marks and still squeezes a bit especially on deeper dives of course. If it becomes terrible on a 30+ meter dive just let a bit of water in as soon as you reach bottom.

From my experience with my 7mm semi-dry there definitely is squeeze which will leave seam marks on your skin. On the very first dive with it I almost thought I had made a bad call with size. It wasn’t really comfortable during the dive even. The more I dove it the better it felt though and soon I was pretty sure I had the right size. That being said it still leaves seam marks and still squeezes a bit especially on deeper dives of course. If it becomes terrible on a 30+ meter dive just let a bit of water in as soon as you reach bottom.

I agree with what @Filipe Marques da Costa has stated and it reflects my experience as well to one degree or another. The first time I felt the squeeze I could feel the seams of my suit pressing in to me and thought I would never be comfortable. The reality is that my attention was able to become absorbed by the dive because I was otherwise warm and comfortable.

My semi-dry (Waterproof Combat SD) works exceptionally well....if I tuck the ankle seals I cant vent residual air from the suit and can't submerge. I leave the ankle seals untucked and the most I have ever been wet was from ankle to knees....above my knees I stay bone dry. I am pretty sure that I can attach an inflator valve and dump valve to my suit to convert it to a drysuit, I just don't have a need to do this.

Suit squeeze is not really an issue for those with semi-dry suits that fit snug but don't seal out water, they retain heat by restricting the movement of water in and out of the suit. Suits like the Waterproof Combat SD dive more like a drysuit in that they generally keep the water out of the suit to begin with.

A tip I was given by a semi-dry diver while diving the quarries in Belgium was to attach a low pressure inflator hose with an air nozzle quick connected to it...if one experiences squeeze, use the nozzle to shoot a bit of air into the arm of the suit via the wrist seal.

Of course, no amount of tricks or hacks really makes up for an ill-fitting suit, but it is perfectly normal to feel the seam glue/tape/stitching of a comfortably snug fitting semi-dry and if it seals out water well, they should expect to feel suit squeeze which will cause them to feel the seams and also often the zipper (with across the shoulder back-zip suits) press into them.

Flooding some water into the suit will help but then one is wet and possibly cold....I personally prefer to tolerate the squeeze and stay dry and warm.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom