How safe is lead shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
Considering how toxic lead is to the environment and living things, I was wondering how safe lead shot is, used as a weight bag? Is all the rubbing together in the bag going to create lead dust that will turn my BC into a toxic waste site? I don't believe there's any safe level of exposer. Maybe I should just buy solid weights that are coated to be safer?

Elemental lead, like lead shot or lead weight blocks, is pretty safe stuff. Lead isn't prone to "dusting" like some more brittle metals. Lead compounds like those found in paint or gasoline additives are the ones that'll carry lead into the blood where it can do some nasty things. (has a nasty affinity for brain tissue, don't ya know) And while I wouldn't recommend eating lead shot to prove the point (digestive juices can make some absorbable lead compounds) you don't need to worry about scuba weights during normal scuba activities. (Do rinse salt water off and let weights dry - salt water has stuff in it that can combine with lead to make lead compounds, and the activity of some critters that grow in moisture can result in lead compounds too.)
Rick

Back in the 70's there was an article in "Skin Diver" concerning lead toxicity. Although metallic lead is rather inert it was reported that lead which is in contact with diver's skin can cause irritation or some sort of reaction. I believe the issue was with lead shot in pouches. The lead would corrode and form lead oxide which sloughed off and infiltrated the fabric. The oxide flushed out onto the exposed skin. That's all I've heard. Personally, never had a problem but I avoid the above situation.

Sea Monkey,
Looks like Rick hit this one on the head. Keep in mind though that there are sealed lead shot bags available on the market as well. If you have any second doubts, they should provide some additional peace of mind for you.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Unfortunately I still have my doubts. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but it would be nice to know for sure. I'm not clear as to how devjr avoids the situation. Do you not use shot bags or do you only use sealed weights?

Guilty as charged. I use lead shot... the same lead shot I've been using for years made by Sea Pearls. Though they do not leak, they will stain your BC when they are new... which made me very nervous as well.

Monkey, the problem with lead shot only occurred when the lead or lead products were in contact with bare skin in salt water. Bagged shot is a cesspool of toxic lead products. However, solid lead weights have much less surface area, produce relatively little oxide and are exposed to circulating water. I've never had a problem with solid lead weights, 2-5 pounds sizes, nor have I heard of a problem. I've never used bagged shot for ballast. However, the Navy used large quantities of #1 bird shot as ballast for a deep submersible. They found that corrosion welded the shot together preventing dumping the ballast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom