How old were you when you started diving?

How old were you when you started diving?

• Less than 20

Votes: 94 27.8%
  • 20-29

Votes: 75 22.2%
  • 30-39

Votes: 60 17.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 69 20.4%
  • 50-59

Votes: 37 10.9%
  • 60+

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1986 @ 22 years of age. Wasn't that yesterday?

Started when I was 10. Bought a card in '78 for fills. Then I bought another card because some boats wanted "advanced" certification........

Started diving at age 12 in 1965. My family was making a road trip down the Florida keys and there was a sign on the side of the road, "learn to scuba dive." My dad stopped the car and handed me over to the guy giving the "class". No books, no dive tables, no certification agency. He put a tank on my back, told me not to hold my breath and we dove. Been diving ever since. I did a real certification class in college for PE credit in 1971. I have been diving dozens to hundreds of dives a year ever since that first "class." By the way, I have NEVER been asked to show a C card to fill tanks. Between age 12 and college, I filled tanks hundreds of times without a C card.

At age 50 on a whim I did 12 dives on a "Club Med Certification" card. PADI certified the next year at 51; Nitrox at 55; AOW at 57; Rescue this past July at 59. Approaching 200 dives.

I taught myself how to dive in 1971 at age 21 and made a "renegade" dive in Pennykamp using a set of doubles and a double-hose reg. I didn't touch diving again until I was 51 in late 2000 when I did it the "right" way and got certified in Curaçao.

Back
Top Bottom