• 41-50

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • 51-60

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • 61+

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude_eric

Registered
Reaction score
I think that the 18 year old age limit set by lots of agencies to young for most 18 year olds. I think 20-21 would be the reight age. What do you guys think.

We were doing things that are now considered "technical" - very deep air; extended decompression, hanging tanks etc. - back in the 60's & early 70's, long before any "technical" diving existed. Other friends were poking their heads into the Florida caves, and looking back on it, comparing notes, we're all lucky to be alive.
First technical certification card, however, was just a few months shy of age 50!
--------------------
As for an appropriate minimum age, there are eighteen year olds who certainly have the requisite skill, intelligence and self control to be competent technical divers. I knew many of them in the Navy; many have recently taken Iraq. I myself was a commercial, instrument rated pilot and flight instructor at age 19, and I was no more talented than the average kid that age - just a little more focussed on a specific goal.
Rick

You know there is really no need for a limit. In reality the time it takes to get the courses and the cost prevent alot of young people from getting into technical diving as it is. Also, its not like there is a massive number of 18 year olds getting injured or dying while doing technical diving. I can just imagine a 14 year old with twin 104s and 2 al40s. Its not really an issue in my opinion.

There's a major difference between "took your first tech course" and "started doing what is now called technical diving".

WW

Another problem with polls such as this one is the lack of agreement on a definition of technical diving. Then there's the very real question of if any definition of technical diving really matters at all.

Actually, there is a need to set a minimum age requirement for technical training (as with other levels) especially. First they need to be at least 18 to be able to legally sign a Wiaver, Liability Release and other such Agreements. Having a parent or gaurdian sign would not work as too many of them do not get involved enough or gather enough information to make an informed decision.

Second, I have seen more than once where a parent thinks his/her child is above the average and can handle the technical diving. They then circumvent training and standards, get 100% O2 hang bottles filled and take the kid diving.

This develops a dangerous mindset and I know of at least one chamber ride as a result.

Who is a technical diver? Compared to some, I am a very technical diver, compared to others like George, I am a complete novice. Many of us do technical things, and utilize advanced techniques, but it is dangerous to block out age groups and or agencies to determine someone's quality or worth as a tech diver. If you look at the GUE site, you will notice that they recommend that Divemasters or higher, preferrably instructor/leadership level divers who have the right mindset pursue technical diving. Most young teens/early twenties divers think too much with the wrong head. Not all, but many. That is dangerous. That is why the level of commitment to training, education, knowledge and application of that knowledge makes the difference. yes an 18 year old can do it, but rarely. He/she may think they are doing it (common god way of thinking at that age), but usually get themselves into trouble. On the other end of the scale I know some divers in their late 40s and 50s that are complete strokes and feel that their age has somehow evolved them into a higher being. Equally as dangerous. Think safety first, then have fun. Do what you need to do to explore, enjoy or research something. Doing it just to do it is macho, not smart, and that is definitely NOT a technical diver.

other than the liability issues it should not be about age at all but more about the number and type of dives you have been doing.
I grew up diving like some grew up riding a bike or ice skating, so getting into advanced type of dives at a younger age was only natural.

I was diving "technical" dives before the word was coined or there where agencies to teach you anything. and i was in my early twenties and felt quite capable of doing the dives i was doing.

now there is much more information available to the diver, if the internet or training agencies where around then....or for that matter the use of helium. .... i can only wonder where diving would be today.

back to the topic......there are a lot of divers out there now who are jumping into tech diving with as few as a 100 dives under their belt. are they ready.

I was just on an expedition where a very experienced recreation diver who just jumped into tech and flew threw the courses rapidly, died....you need to wonder that if he took the tech diving in smaller steps would he still be alive

I'm one of those diver's jumping into technical diving which many would call "too soon". So question is when is right? From my perspective I've maxed out all the Padi courses to where I crave more training, hence technical, and problem with being an Engineer. Is there magic in 100 dives? There is a big difference between someone who has done 100 dives at 40 feet and another, like myself (< 100), who has done challenging dives, wreck, cave, currents, deep... As I convinced my instructor, what good does it do for someone to just "do" recreational dives to make a magic number. Instead someone half my age kicked my butt in a tech diving 'boot camp', I survived, hence he allowed me to continue in my training.

I believe recreational can only take you to a point and after that the only way you will learn technical diving is by doing it. Initially under heavy supervision. Sort of like your learner's permit. Although I will have Advanced Trimix shortly that doesn't mean I'm diving the Andrea Doria. I look at it as a natural progression in training. Next I will probably proceed to get my cave certification. Not because I plan on diving caves but because it will make me a better and safer technical diver and I can apply what I learn to other areas.

In reality I think the problem is with the courses and agencies. Basically in 10 dives you can go from recreational to Adv Trimix within TDI. There should be a period where you can do the advanced technical dives but only with an instructor, like maybe 30.

With regards to age, again, it depends on your ability. Some people won't be a safe diver at any age.

OK, I'm ready to get flamed now :maniac:

Kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom