How old do you plan to dive til?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly, not anywhere I dive!
There are two in New Jersey, one in Jacksonville FL, and one in the Great Lakes.

Where do you dive?

There are two in New Jersey, one in Jacksonville FL, and one in the Great Lakes.

Where do you dive?
South FL, the Caribbean, Mexico Indo-Pacific, all over...but not NJ, JAX, or the GL.

Every live aboard (many) that we have been on, over the years, will assist you with getting your gear back on the boat if climbing aboard with it is too difficult. Just always ask before signing up for the trip. Tip appropriately as they work hard to do this. Some live aboards make this easier than others. Ask ahead of time.

Turned 70 last November (diving in Raja Ampat, Indonesia for 28 of 29 offered dives) and this is year 54 of diving.

Just returned from Maldives logging 24 dives some in current and deep-ish profiles to hook in and see sharks plus 35' day and night manta dives.

These days 3 good dives and an occasional night dive is plenty for me. Tropical warm water after decades of diving drysuit, Great Lakes, Pacific Northwest, etc. well before dive computers, too. I did it when young but sure don't miss it now. I like reefs, with or without some wrecks (Red Sea, Pacific, etc. too )

Health is good and I exercise (mostly cardio fast walks) and enough strength work outs to handle a typical 80 cu. ft. tank, 2.5mm or very limited 5mm suit to stay warm. That also means less weight coupled with the simplest lightweight tropical BCD, the discontinued Aqualung ZUMA. Yeah, and one of those integrated Aqualung Airsource which my buddies know to grab my primary and I'll use the Airsource to get us back up safely.

I always dive a couple Suunto ZOOP Novo wrist computers (I have 4 picking them up with practically no dives on them for $150.00 -ish.) A Youtube video showed me how to set it easily and the battery seems to last forever but I can change it myself too.

Paired with a simple SPG with NITROXI get plenty of bottom time but also have no qualms if someone I'm diving with wants to come up at 45 min or over an hour as long as NDL are OK and gas is plentiful.

Last thing I'll say is this........

Your average sport diver has seemed to forget we are SWIMMING underwater.......

With all the crap people strap on I guess I shouldn't be surprised they struggle but many have marginal watermanship......Kind of sad because that's what attracted me to diving way back when......

Stay fit, rest more, take less crap in the water and enjoy the show.

I plan to for 5-10 more years :)

DaveyUWselfiePhilippinesSept2018.jpgDavid Haas Moorea light.jpegYellowConey.jpgIMG_0105.jpgSharkShadowSMElarge2.jpg

I'll continue diving until I can't put my gear together by myself... after that, probably continue snorkeling :cool:

I'll be 70 in 4 1/2 more years. I doubt that I'll be diving longer than that.

I dove last year with a man who had just turned 85,, was his last trip though, doctors orders.. If i make it till then diving,, BONUS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom