How old can u scuba dive to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my OW when I was 44 three years ago. Started UW photography after about 30 dives. I m planning to continue to dive until the ocean dried up. U hv many years ahead. Go forth and get certified.

Thanks, the reason I ask is because I am 41 and considering getting certified. I just want to know how many good years I got left in me.:)

41 get on raft with a bottle of whiskey and drift off to sea forget scuba you are way over the hill.

I know of a lady in her mid 80's Steel tank, Drysuit and full face mask.

My husband just got his Full Cave certification. He's 60, and he has no plans to stop.

Thanks, the reason I ask is because I am 41 and considering getting certified. I just want to know how many good years I got left in me.:)

You're just a youngster... I got certified at 55, and plan to continue as long as I can safelt do it. I wanted to dive since I was a kid watching sea hunt, but never thought I'd have the opportunity to get into diving. Now that the kids are grown and on their own, it turned diving was much more available than I thought.

Go for it with the best of luck. :D

When it gets too tough to deal with cold water gear, then switch to warm water only until you finally can't do it at all any more. That's my plan.

Dove in the early 50's with the old tein hose Aqualuing but gave it up in married life. Then, at age 73, had to go to Turks for OW referral as couldn't carry wt needed to balance 7mm full suit with hood. Now at age 75,am returning to Bonaire for dive number 55 and up. May need some help getting to my feet but in the water am weightless and feel 50 again.

I think it is a bit like driving. Once you get past your mid-70s, you should probably think about asking others whose judgment you trust whether you can keep doing it without putting yourself and others in danger. I know at least a couple of fit active divers in their 80s, and my Dad still dives regularly at 70.

Certainly up until 75 I wouldn't even worry about it. But past 75 you do start losing body strength, eyesight and memory, which can lead you into bother, whether you are diving or driving. Nothing says you can't do it, but just be aware of potential risks and limitations. You may want to scale back on the deep diving or (say) the night diving after a certain age.

Back
Top Bottom