How often do you "Plan your dive, dive your plan"? Preliminary Survey Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just starting to dive into the results of the recent survey conducted on dive computer use and dive planning. (Thanks to all who participated - had more than 2,000 respondents across 21 different on-line sources.)

One thing that jumped out at me in skimming through the data is the frequency - or lack thereof - with which recreational divers actually engage in dive planning before jumping into the water. When you look at the 1,512 respondents who indicated that they only do recreational diving, we see the following:

Dive_Planning.png

Gas_Suppy.png

I believe that DAN reports that running out of air is the leading cause of dive accidents... which I guess is not surprising.

Will be diving deeper into the data, looking at various crosstabs and correlations over the next week or so. I'm sure there will be more interesting stuff in there.

...Will be diving deeper into the data...over the next week or so.

Assumably a planned dive.

:wink:

some divers dive the same depths repeatedly and remember their plans from before.....

Last edited:
I expected bad numbers, but not this? Sad state of affairs. Thanks for sharing

[:shrug:] If it's my 2nd (3rd etc.) dive of the day, I'd look at the SI table, would that count as "using tables"? And if I don't because I already know 1 hour SI will shift me at least half way in the pressure groups, would that still count? Does "swim against the current until 1st of us hits half-tank, then turn around and move towards the shallows; finish off at 20 feet or less for at least 3 minutes" count as "calculate gas needed to complete your dive"? Meh.

I agree with those above who alluded to a slight bit of ambiguity as a possible explanation: does "planning" involve a deliberate action before each dive, or does it involve simply knowing one's limits (e.g., from experience doing the same dive, or when the dive obviously fits within a safe envelope). People who assume the former interpretation might have responded negatively.

In answer to your question the amount of planning that goes into a dive depends largely on the type of dive it is. For NDL dives, I know my RMV and tank capacity and a given turn pressure so I generally just ride the computer and when I start to hit certain points in the dive I'll begin my ascent etc..

For tech dives I am much more rigid and comprehensive in my planning - for the very specific reason of gas management. I have an overall dive plan and even though I am diving with a computer and following runtimes within the over all plan, I never exceed the parameters I have set. The computer will usually give me credit and clear me earlier on deco and also allow a little more flexibility in the dive profile, but gas is finite (especially in OC) So I'm much more cognoscente of the overall picture and more strict about planning and execution.

It's unfortunate that the survey results seem to be pointing to a less desirable trend, but yes it could be a certain ambiguity in the way the question was worded that gave you these results.

[:shrug:] If it's my 2nd (3rd etc.) dive of the day, I'd look at the SI table, would that count as "using tables"? And if I don't because I already know 1 hour SI will shift me at least half way in the pressure groups, would that still count? Does "swim against the current until 1st of us hits half-tank, then turn around and move towards the shallows; finish off at 20 feet or less for at least 3 minutes" count as "calculate gas needed to complete your dive"? Meh.

I would say yes, as maintaining awareness of where you are in relation to NDL and how much gas you have in relation to how much you will need have been covered, as well as a basic itinerary. This may seem like no plan to some, but for kicking around pointlessly sightseeing it covers the bases and works quite well. For a more involved dive, you need a more involved plan.

Bob
---------------------------
Plans on coming back.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2015 at 11:49 AM ----------

I agree with those above who alluded to a slight bit of ambiguity as a possible explanation: does "planning" involve a deliberate action before each dive, or does it involve simply knowing one's limits (e.g., from experience doing the same dive, or when the dive obviously fits within a safe envelope). People who assume the former interpretation might have responded negatively.

It just asks a question, any ambiguity is in the mind of the diver answering and is sorted out individually before answering. There is no right answer, just what people perceive themselves doing. Regardless of what they may know, they don't believe they have a plan.

Personally, I don't jump in the water without a good idea how I'm going to get out, I've met others that don't.

Sad state of affairs.

If you think that's sad, how do you feel knowing that people from your town have an average of only one testicle? Knowing that all of the respondents to that part of the survey only do recreational diving is probably as useful in evaluating the significance of the raw statistics as knowing that about half of the people in your town are female.

Been there, done that.

At some point for many dives, planning that dive is like planning your drive to work or to the market. Only when some important parameters change is it really necessary to get out NDL references and calculate gas usage. It is quite rare that I push NDLs. I don't really push gas, but I may not waste much either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom