How often do you "Plan your dive, dive your plan"? Preliminary Survey Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every time I dive no matter the site....I plan my dive and dive my plan. I use my tables and obey the NDLs. That's the way I was trained to dive. I can think of no reason to push my luck, you only have so much luck, and at some point it may run out. You can read about divers that run out of luck quite frequently, unfortunately.

And I obey the NDL's and seldom push them, but those are computer NDL's not table NDL's. I exceed the table NDL's regularily because of multi-level diving.

If we go 5 or 10 minutes into deco at our local dive site we trundle around and do our time. We don't get all apologetic over going into deco. Yes there is rudimentary planning to be sure there is gas there, and that there is rundanancy, but that is against unlikelly contingencies. At some point you have to decide if the risks you are taking are worth it. Some (many) may think it is better to sit on your couch and watch the latest episode of Trump's apprentice. That might be the right choice on any given day. You all can decide which is the lower risk. Most of the time I'd rather be out in the ocean. There have been dives I wish I had not done, and which in retrospect I would not have have not done. It is a judgement call and all of us might or might not come back any day although we all try to make the odds better. Dive your plan runs into sophistic nonsense far too often. Do plan to have enough gas do do your dive, even if the plan changes during the dive.

If we go 5 or 10 minutes into deco at our local dive site we trundle around and do our time. We don't get all apologetic over going into deco. Yes there is rudimentary planning to be sure there is gas there, and that there is rundanancy, but that is against unlikelly contingencies. At some point you have to decide if the risks you are taking are worth it. Some (many) may think it is better to sit on your couch and watch the latest episode of Trump's apprentice. That might be the right choice on any given day. You all can decide which is the lower risk. Most of the time I'd rather be out in the ocean. There have been dives I wish I had not done, and which in retrospect I would not have have not done. It is a judgement call and all of us might or might not come back any day although we all try to make the odds better. Dive your plan runs into sophistic nonsense far too often. Do plan to have enough gas do do your dive, even if the plan changes during the dive.

Who would make changes to a dive plan on the fly that intentionally left them without enough gas? That can't be what you meant, can it?

Those changes would need to be unplanned for and unanticipated to leave me without adequate gas. The last time i found myself without enough gas was in 1970. I've never let that happen again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom