How often do you "Plan your dive, dive your plan"? Preliminary Survey Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sons and I dive the same shore spot pretty regularly but we still do a fair bit of pre-dive planning and post-dive debriefing. In part because it is a really good habit to get into but also because conditions can and do fluctuate so we discuss contingencies (like thumbing the dive is the vis turns out be zero). I worry that some divers get into bad habits that they get away with in fairly benign shallow dives in clear, warm water but on the occasion they find themselves in more challenging conditions things can go pear shaped in a hurry and if you entered the water without a clear gas management, navigation and contingency plan you could end up in a world of trouble. I see it a lot in the Caribbean...the dive boat stops at the reef, the briefing is something along the lines of "return with 500 psi" and folks splash in without a clear plan and don't get me wrong it could be a very simple plan but it does need to be formulated and discussed. A very simple recreational plan could be along the lines of "let's descend to 20' do a quick bubble check, continue to the bottom, gas check, swim to the wreck, gas check, explore the wreck until we reach thirds (or some other agreed upon point), regroup at the line, gas check and then ascend to the safety stop.

I agree with those above who alluded to a slight bit of ambiguity as a possible explanation: does "planning" involve a deliberate action before each dive, or does it involve simply knowing one's limits (e.g., from experience doing the same dive, or when the dive obviously fits within a safe envelope). People who assume the former interpretation might have responded negatively.

This is precisely why I asked the planning question multiple ways to tease the distinctions out. How often do you...

• plan with tables/dive planner
  • plan with your computer
  • plan with dive planning software
  • use your experience to determine a general plan
  • develop a specific dive plan with a buddy/other divers
  • follow a plan given by a divemaster/dive guide
  • follow a plan developed by a buddy/other divers
  • simply follow the information on my computer during the dive itself

As mentioned, I'm sorting through it now, but on a quick look at the recreational divers who report that they NEVER or RARELY pre-plan their dives

• only 16% say they "Usually" or "Always" use their experience to develop a general plan
  • only 24% say they "Usually or "Always" develop a specific dive plan with a buddy/other divers
  • nearly 50% say they "Usually" or "Always" simply follow the information on their computer during the dive
  • greater than 40% say they "Usually" or "Always" follow a dive plan provided by a divemaster/dive guide
  • less than 20% say they "Usually" or "Always" follow a dive plan provided by a buddy/other divers

When it comes to relying on their experience to generate a plan, note that the mean number of dives per year in this group is 10-19 dives per year... so for the average diver here, we're not talking about the avid diver that does 50-100 dives per year on the same familiar sites. We're talking about the typical recreational diver that does a handful of dives on vacation once or twice a year.

It would appear that when it comes to dive planning... the majority of recreational divers are simply winging it or doing trust-me dives.

PS - note that less than 20% of all respondents came from ScubaBoard. Also note that the data above is only for the 1,512 respondents who report that they only do recreational diving.

A lot of real world diving is guided diving, often in places the divers aren't particularly familiar with (& may be diving one time in their lives). And multi-level diving at that. Often a 2 tank trip diving AL 80 cf tanks, likely with an instruction to not go over a given depth (if the site doesn't have a hard bottom preventing that, like many reef sites at Key Largo). The guide is leading a group of divers, has to plan conservatively to avoid anyone running out of gas well out from the boat, and leads groups often enough to have a good handle on how to make this work.

The customer knows what region of the world is involved (e.g.: Grand Cayman) & maybe a site name. He's likely new to the site & probably doesn't know in advance how much of the dive will be spent near max. depth, etc… And if he's a good auditory learner with good retention on hearing it once, the briefing given right before gearing up & jumping in will still be a bit hard to effectively digest.

This guy is probably not going to pull out tables or try to get his computer into a dive planning mode. His odds of being NDL limited are quite low. His gas he'll watch on-the-fly as he goes through the dive, likely signaled by the guide intermittently to communicate his remaining supply.

This would be an unfamiliar dive to the likely limits of recreational depth or NDL. A recreational dive that I would formally plan would be if I ever actually get to dive the NC coast.
04.gif

Yes, on my trip I encountering potentially NDL limited diving, which I seldom do. Even there, diving with Olympus Dive Center, a few others factors came into play (which you might even call a form of planning):

1.) I dove a Faber steel 120 cf tank with EAN 30 to extend bottom time.

2.) There was a hard bottom (sand), typically around 120' or so.

3.) A mate drops down to tie off the anchor to wreck, and uses a wreck reel to lay a colored line & show a path divers can follow if they wish. Some wrecks are in pieces and navigation can become an issue if you get off the main 'piece,' or the wreck is really large.

4.) I still paid for a guide (money well-spent).

None of this is what many people think of as planning. But from dive op. selection to which services/gear one pays to use, there's more to planning than just advance planning of NDLs at a max. depth.

Richard.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2015 at 04:39 PM ----------

It would appear that when it comes to dive planning... the majority of recreational divers are simply winging it or doing trust-me dives.

Here's an idea for a simple poll on an important topic related to your current study. How confident are you in your navigational ability?

I suspect the prevalent level of navigational competence in the larger rec. diving community would fall short of what the forum membership would hope. It's a weakness of mine. For example, would you...

1.) Always rely on a guide or buddy to navigate, or stay very close to a major landmark, such as an anchor line or small wreck, or in sight of the boat?

2.) Willing to run a short range reciprocal course?

3.) Willing to run a longer range reciprocal course?

-----2.) & 3.) assume no significant current to compensate for.

4.) Willing to run a simple geometric shape (e.g.: square), but crudely (e.g.: using set compass bearings like 90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees, 0/360 degrees, a set steady finning or time frame each leg of the journey, no deviation from the plan, don't go far & nervous the entire time, will little observation of reef, wildlife, etc…?

5.) Capable of comfortably running a square or rectangular pattern with moderate ability (e.g.: stick to the plan but enjoy the scenery, or able to use 'non-right angle bearings')?

6.) Capably run simple geometric patterns while maintaining good situational awareness, can modify the plan for conditions & desire, generally have a pretty good idea where you are with regard to the boat. Stopping, changing finning speed or other such things don't throw off your execution too much.

Somebody who's not level 5.) or higher is likely relying on a guide or buddy. Aside from a pre-agreed max. depth & maybe turn pressure, and some pre dive discussion (e.g.: I'm an air hog, I like to dive shallow), there are limits to how much planning they can do since they're following someone else around.

Richard.

I suspect the prevalent level of navigational competence in the larger rec. diving community would fall short of what the forum membership would hope. It's a weakness of mine.

You think it's bad in recreational diving? Tech divers are far worse at navigation! Take a wreck diver like me for example...
1.) There are two boats
2.) There's a line running between the two boats
3.) If you get lost, follow the line to the end.
4.) If the line leads to a boat that is on the bottom, reverse direction to find the other boat.
5.) If that boat is also on the bottom... navigation is the least of your worries

:D

I think I took the survey. The vast majority of my dives are solo shore dives rarely below 30 fsw. For these I use no planning tools other than to use the compass to get to where the shells may be and return based on tank air. So I'm not sure where that really fits regarding planning. For deep boat dives I use tables to plan and constantly check PSI (and use computer for the dive).

Not addressed to me but I think I will give my take. This would be an unfamiliar dive to the likely limits of recreational depth or NDL. A recreational dive that I would formally plan would be if I ever actually get to dive the NC coast. :D
Yeah but how much of that would be specifically gas planning using tables or software? Tables & software can't factor in local site conditions that may affect your breathing rate. Like swimming against the current or being cold. You can guesstimate that based on your experience and err on the side of caution. Which may fit RJP's definition of "calculate" I suppose.

Just starting to dive into the results of the recent survey conducted on dive computer use and dive planning. (Thanks to all who participated - had more than 2,000 respondents across 21 different on-line sources.)

One thing that jumped out at me in skimming through the data is the frequency - or lack thereof - with which recreational divers actually engage in dive planning before jumping into the water. When you look at the 1,512 respondents who indicated that they only do recreational diving, we see the following...

Did they elaborate on what constitutes "planning"? What I do for planning might not look like planning to other people. And vice versa.

I do a lot of diving off commercial boats in south Florida. I imagine a lot of people who are on those charters do 90% of their diving like that. Here is a typical two tank dive:
1. Visit a wreck at about 70-80 feet and ascend when your gas hits the same level you have ascended from the previous 70-80 times you have done a dive like that.
2. Do a drift dive in which you drop to 45-50 feet and ascend when your gas hits the same level you have ascended from the previous 70-80 times you have done a dive like that, or 50 minutes, which ever comes first.

I am willing to guess that very few divers do any real planning beyond what that entails for the dives, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Yeah but how much of that would be specifically gas planning using tables or software? Tables & software can't factor in local site conditions that may affect your breathing rate. Like swimming against the current or being cold. You can guesstimate that based on your experience and err on the side of caution. Which may fit RJP's definition of "calculate" I suppose.
Before my second attempt to dive with Olympus was blown out I actually did a fair amount of research including a search on SB and a discussion on an active thread. I also spoke with Olympus in some detail. By that time I had a fair idea of typical sites, depths, conditions and available/best mixes. I also know my usual response to a variety of dive conditions. So yes, I didn't use a computer but did hand calculations with tables and formulas to run a variety of scenarios and come up with a dive plan. Never got to do that dive though.

Before my second attempt to dive with Olympus was blown out I actually did a fair amount of research including a search on SB and a discussion on an active thread. I also spoke with Olympus in some detail. By that time I had a fair idea of typical sites, depths, conditions and available/best mixes. I also know my usual response to a variety of dive conditions. So yes, I didn't use a computer but did hand calculations with tables and formulas to run a variety of scenarios and come up with a dive plan. Never got to do that dive though.
We drove down the OBX hwy 12 last October and even jumped in the surf once or twice... mmmm... steamed shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom