How often do you abort dives and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did the right thing with the equalising issue - no point forcing it and having bigger problems later.

Did the panic attack cause the other problems or were they the cause of the panic attack?

I don't know that either a mask leak or coughing should be causing an aborted dive. I have had both at far deeper than 8m and kept going. The mask leak should be simple to sort as it is the sort of thing that should be getting practised all the time. Coughing into a reg is nothing to worry about either (heck you can blow chunks through a reg and it will still operate - might want to give it a heck of a good rinse afterwards though).

Both, to me anyway, are things that are easily controllable - stop, breathe, think, act.

exactly i didnt want to miss out but equally i didnt want to force it and not be able to dive the rest of the week through making it worse.

i am not too sure, as you say they are not major problems. the mask flooded first but whether that led to panic attack then coughing or the cough came first and then he panicked from that and not being able to see is something we don't know. i asked him but he says he can't remember anything except not being able to breathe and feeling a need to get to the surface. i am just glad we were shallow and not at depth

As a dive master, I am often the one to help divers that for whatever reasons just aren't dealing with the situation well. This includes bringing them to the surface/shore as necessary early to try again later or another day.

Other than that, just a few times. Most notable was off of a deep wall in San Juan's when current shifted and started pulling us down pretty strongly. Glad there was kelp to hold on/pull up. Buddy tried to give me a hard time after. Currents kill regularly everywhere and can be particularly hazardous in the islands. Read that person the riot act for all the reasons people have been saying above. Other times have been when with divers clearly out of their element such as one diver who basically stopped kicking/trying before we were to enter a 60 plus foot canyon in current in the Columbia river.

I'm willing to abort anytime I feel uncomfortable with the dive. My regular dive buddy and I have a standing agreement that either of us can abort at anytime without any recriminations what so ever. As Grateful Diver said I do this for fun.

Notable abort . Years ago I was invited to fly with some new acquaintances to dive Catalina (never dove there before). They claimed to be veteran divers. We made our dive plan, geared up and started the dive. Once we hit our depth, I turned my head to look at something, turned back around and my buddies were gone.
I did two 360's and broke off the dive. Still no signs of my buddies. Swam back to the underwater ledge at the island and struggled to climb back up. Decided to ditch my bcd/tank so I could climb the ledge easier. When I unbuckled my bcd a surge hit me and my bcd slid down my arms and pinned them to my side while another surge hit me and pushed me under. I panicked for a few seconds and then remembered to just push out into open water. Ditched my bcd, floated it over to the ledge and climbed back up. When my "buddies" finally surfaced, they casually told me they had swam off and didn't notice that I wasn't with them. Where had I gone? And why did I look so pissed off...

Last edited:
Anytime I can't see a happy outcome to a dive, that's good enough for me to abort.

Only ever aborted one dive, it was in the lake 37 degree water.
My regulator froze open & would not quit spewing air.

I subscribe to the "anyone can call a dive, at any time, for any reason" principle. As far as I can remember, I've called exactly one dive, and that was before even kitting up. It was a shore dive. The wind and waves just were way too much for me, so I took one look at the conditions and said, basically, "heck, no!" Now, I'm pretty certain I've cut quite a few dives shorter than planned for some reason or another, but since I also subscribe to the "a good dive is when everybody surfaces safely" principle, I really don't remember cutting those dives short. It just doesn't matter. I got wet, we had a good time until we didn't, and then we surfaced. Everybody was fine. Good dive.

I subscribe to the "anyone can call a dive, at any time, for any reason" principle. As far as I can remember, I've called exactly one dive, and that was before even kitting up. It was a shore dive. The wind and waves just were way too much for me, so I took one look at the conditions and said, basically, "heck, no!" Now, I'm pretty certain I've cut quite a few dives shorter than planned for some reason or another, but since I also subscribe to the "a good dive is when everybody surfaces safely" principle, I really don't remember cutting those dives short. It just doesn't matter. I got wet, we had a good time until we didn't, and then we surfaced. Everybody was fine. Good dive.
Same here. I may have mentioned a similar time way back in this revived thread. I shore dived Allenhurst Jetty in New Jersey a few years ago, carrying the dive flag of course. I miscalculated the wave heights. It wasn't a big problem, but a little unnerving (and work) going through them to get to deeper water--especially towing the flag. A couple of years later I returned to that site and the waves looked similar, so rather than work a lot I opted for a sheltered backwater dive.
I should mention that although in my youth I used to body surf waves at least that size, like off S. Long Island or Jax Beach in FL etc., but my usual diving is in bays with little surf (unlike you SoCal guys....).

Personally I called one dive. We were diving in a quarry, after a while i felt some slightly urgent need and did not yet have a p-valve on the drysuit.
Since we were only 10 minutes from our planned exit I thought it should work out. When the time was over we surfaced and found out, that our navigator managed to bring us to the direct opposite of the quarry.
The plan was to dive back around the shoreline in 3m depth. I thought i could handle it, but after another 10 minutes called the dive, since the need got more urgent. I told my buddys what was going on and decided to get out while they continued.
So I crawled out, only to figure out, that being alone, with a zipper across the shoulders and no clue how to get out, might not be a good idea. So I ran all the way back to the entrance/ exit, where others helped me get out of my (fortunately still) dry-suit.
Learned, that opening a zipper, when the person in the suit can hardly hold still, is a quite tough task.

Lesson Learned: my next drysuit hat a front-zip and a p-valve.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I believe we as divers still have too much the mentality of "sucking it up", "not being a pussy", "it will get better underwater", which in many cases is the wrong attitude.

Specifically when there is an authority imbalance (ie instructor/experienced diver vs beginner) or when a lot has already been invested in the dive by the dive-team it takes a lot of courage to openly state that you want to abort. There is a lot of psychology and peer pressure involved and not always in the way you think. Three personal examples that I have seen/experienced.

Instructor vs student:
The only 2 star instructor of a local CMAS club needs to take one of the final tests for a soon to be AI. It involves a shore dive with a 40m descend, simulate OOA, buddy breath and then assisted ascend. There is peer pressure on the instructor, because he's the only one in the club able to take the test and the student is under time pressure because the official examination is in a couple of weeks. Hence this is the only valable moment to do this test. Instructor forgets his mask, only finds out after getting to the shore. Someone else lends him an ill fitting mask. They descend against current while he keeps flooding his mask/clears, creating a CO² hit. Arriving at 40m he feels extremely uncomfortable, out of breath. It doesn't get better and he thinks he's not getting any gas (while is regulator is working fine) so he goes out of air. He get's the octopus from his student, but he still thinks he's not getting any gas. He bails... the student tries to arrest his ascend but it's still an almost blow up like ascend. I was on the scene and was the first to assist when they came to the surface. Both were ok (after a visit to hospital) and I talked to the instructor a couple of weeks later. He had felt quite bad already (not slept well), but felt peer pressure to do this dive, because the AI to be had invested so much already and she was not going to be ready for the final exam if this test was not done. This decision didn't change when he realised he forgot his mask, or during the descend when it kept flooding. The single idea in his head was "I need to do this for my student".

Team of 3 becomes team of 2, north sea wreck dive:
3 man team signs up for a north sea wreck charter. 2 days before the charter sails one of the team bails because his daughter is ill. The now 2 man team arrives early morning on the boat. Diver A feels a bit queezy, didn't sleep very well, but sucks it up, because north sea diving is always like that (and to be honest it is...). However he forgot his seasickness pills and the ride out is quite choppy. He throws up a couple of times and feels extremely uncomfortable and wants to call the dives (2). However he doesn't do because, this would also mean 2 lost dives for his buddy (remember they are only a team of 2 now), not only lost time, but also lost money. The skipper of the charter states that conditions on the wreck are marvelous, so diver A sucks it up and they dive. Underwater his seasickness improves but he still feels bad, but doesn't call the dive. They finish the dive, get back on board and he has a minor DCS hit. I'm not saying that the DCS hit is linked to him feeling uncomfortable (it was a 50m, 30' bottom time dive so the risk is always there). However because of the hit he told the whole background, which he probably wouldn't have if the dive went as planned. In the end he wanted to abort the dive but felt pressured because a lot was already invested in this dive.

Big cave dive we all felt uneasy about:
So we are doing (for us at the time) a big cave dive, going to 3rd T of Ressel cave (which is about 900m in after about 500m at 50m). Big dubbel sets, 4 stages, scooters and backup scooter. By the time everything is setup, in the water, clicked on, getting to the entrance, going over the plan and keypoints again, equipment check... you have been in the water for some time already. I didn't feel well but didn't say anything. So we start the dive and it all comes down to details for such dives, and from the first couple of meters it felt uneasy, nothing went easy. Clipping of the O² was not easy, putting the leash back on the D ring was a bit of a hassle, scooter in the way...blablabla. First T same story, 2nd drop (50%) same story... we were messy, in eachothers way, and we were losing time. In the end getting to the shaft which would take with scooters and drops about 18-20 min if you are at ease took almost half an hour. Then a teammembers main light broke. Of course we call the dive get back out, leave the dropped stages in (so out with 2 bottom stages). Getting to the surface someone on the surface of our group says he'll lend his main light. By the time we get it and attached, recalculate gas and adjust the plan we are another 30' further so almost 2 hours in cold water. I'm feeling bad about this dive now but I'm not calling it, so much invested you know. Luckily our 3rd team member calls the dive for the exact same reasons as I'm having in my head (not efficient, already long in the water, not feeling totally at ease). That was a very brave thing to do... and us 3 all felt very relieved that he called it. So we dropped everything and just did an easy back gas dive without scooters to collect the dropped deco tanks. No deep cave dive today lads. BIG kudos to our 3rd team member for doing that.

To the OP: Sorry for being long winded. I gave some examples which are why calling a dive is hard (psychologically speaking) and will remain hard, even when you gain experience. But that it's very important to always listen to your "inner voice" and next to that realise that it's a hard thing to do, but in some cases the best thing to do.

This doesn't mean that you should not keep improving, and try to get more comfortable in the water. Of course... but being able to put peer pressure and ego aside and being able to say... I'm not feeling comfortable, I want to call this one is a big thing to learn. Something you have already mastered and will make you a great diver.

Back
Top Bottom