How not to lose my wife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The perfect dive hood ....

HWHoods_Turtle.JPG

Separation happens, and it's going to happen regardless. Unless you're clipped together, a split second of distraction can lead to a misplaced buddy. We mainly drift dive in Cozumel and I tend to drift faster than my wife. In the fast fun drifts that I prefer, it does not take much to become separated to the point that I could not reach her upcurrent if she had a problem. In those situations, I generally hook a finger through a d ring on her BCD.

In crowded dive sites, its not uncommon for 2 or 3 dive groups to cross paths at the same point. Swim throughs and large morays or turtles seem to amplify the problem. As the two groups depart on their separate ways, it's easy to follow the wrong group if you have not made a note about tanks, DM attire, etc.

The yellow and white fins work for us. I have seen reflective trailer type tape used on fins as well. I have it on our local dive tanks and it has not come off in 3 or 4 years. There is also a company in Texas that makes custom wet suits...I think I have even seen a paisley print. Any color combination you wanted is an option.

The cheapest way would probably be colored hose wraps or a ribbon tied somewhere visible, although the rubber chicken is damn near genius. Lots of options, just find what's works for you.

Jay

My left fin is painted...pass.....right fin....do not pass :)

YourBagTag.com These guys make stuff to solve this very problem. My wife and I use them.

I'm not affiliated, other than by way of being a customer.

Last edited:
you can get her name embroidered on the back of a mask strap from DGX

Once you try the small boats, you will never go back to the big boats.
Except the no bathroom is always a problem. Being vegetarian I'm seem to need the boats with bathrooms :) Other than that we love the smaller boats.

Once you try the small boats, you will never go back to the big boats.
It's not the size of the boat, it's how you use it.

Seriously, if you go places in off season you can sometimes get small groups on big boats. You get stability, ease of use, plenty of room, bathroom, etc. You also get the lack of a crowded dive site just as you would get on a small 6 pack. Nothing beats 4 divers going out on a 46' Newton.

It's not the size of the boat, it's how you use it.

Seriously, if you go places in off season you can sometimes get small groups on big boats. You get stability, ease of use, plenty of room, bathroom, etc. You also get the lack of a crowded dive site just as you would get on a small 6 pack. Nothing beats 4 divers going out on a 46' Newton.

Okay okay, you got me. :)

Still, I think the OP is on the right track with the thinking that the large number of divers in the water with him and his wife is at the root of the problem. Dive with a smaller group, and problem is greatly diminished.

Okay okay, you got me. :)

Still, I think the OP is on the right track with the thinking that the large number of divers in the water with him and his wife is at the root of the problem. Dive with a smaller group, and problem is greatly diminished.
Dive with a smaller group of divers and all problems are diminished. Except for the operator, that is. His problems are exacerbated.

When assisting with courses I wore bright wrist band with something bright attached that floated around.

Back
Top Bottom