How not to lose my wife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A unique hair/head covering (beanie) is a great way to distinguish your wife from others if you all rent most of your gear.

My wife bought me a pair of white Mares Avanti fins for my birthday. I found a pair on this site in Yellow at A price I could not refuse. While diving in Roatan, the Visability reduced, so we switched one fin with each other. We've been doing that ever since and even though we dive in small groups, it makes it easy to keep track of one another. It even works great at night.

Before the fins, she wore a scarf/Bernie/head wrap kind of thing to keep her hair from floating around her mask. That worked ok, but was not near as visible as the fins.

My thought on buddy diving is that we all dive alone, whether we know it or not. The fins help.

Safe travels,
Jay

On a serious note - we put our names on the bottom of our fins...

Left fin = MA...
Right fin = RK

But then you run the risk of putting the right fin on the left foot and your name is then RKMA instead of MARK :D

Of course if your wife has very blonde hair, that is a very easy way to ID her amongst the barracudas!

(Keep in mind that some will say that "as a buddy team, you should stay close enough so that keeping track is never a problem, but realistically....)
It depends on what gear is yours vs a rental. I have seen:
The previously mentioned hose wraps;
Brightly marked fins-the actual color of the fins, or painted/sharpied names, clever sayings etc. on fins;
(depends on water temp) distinctive colored booties/sox/ dive skin/wet suit/gloves- hopefully,it would be unlikely that there would be more than one person on the same dive with the same "distinctive" colors;

One of the more most creative was a couple that attached bright, colorful ribbons around their regulator first stages/ hoses in a way that did not interfere with connections- the ribbons trailed behind the divers' head like very long hair.
You might be able to make a temporary rig like that (velcro??) if you rent regs, but be sure to ask the boat crew-some will get testy if they see it and don't know what it is, or they may feel that it is a safety hazard.

Also keep in mind that colors do fade with depth.
Also, with practice, staying together/ finding each othjer will become easier.
Have fun, dive safely.

We are working hard to stay closer. Thro problem come when we have 20 people in the group on the large boats.

We are working hard to stay closer. Thro problem come when we have 20 people in the group on the large boats.

Once you try the small boats, you will never go back to the big boats.

Bright fins. I can always find my daughter.

Attachments

• BA752FA9-2ADC-45DE-A4EC-6DF11E047E5D.jpeg
    BA752FA9-2ADC-45DE-A4EC-6DF11E047E5D.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 67
Put the question to her. My bride rarely appreciates my fashion suggestions.

Like me, you must have napped through the part of your wedding vows that states "... I promise to never, ever give my spouse clothing advice..." Break that vow, and it can be very unhealthy for you. Also, from Marriage 101 Manual, Extreme Warning Note: "No item of clothing shall ever make your wife's posterior look other than perfect."

I laughed so hard about your yellow chicken suggestion until I realized that If I suggested my wife clip a yellow rubber chicken to her butt, I would not live long enough to celebrate our 50th Anniversary later this year. The little self-preservation voice in my head said "Nooooo, don't do that!"

Matching, stylish, uniquely patterned scarves around your necks or upper arms or unique scuba socks. Nothin' wrong with lookin' good. :)

Back
Top Bottom