How much Wetsuit for Spring Diving in MO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are new divers with only 20 dives in warm waters (Cozumel except for cert at Table Rock). I'm comfortable in just a skin at 79F water while my wife would get a bit chilled in a 3/2 on the 3rd dive of the day.

We're planning on exploring some of the diving in Missouri/Arkansas this spring/early summer. Is a 7mm wetsuit (with hood and gloves) adequate for below thermocline diving (Table Rock & Beaver Lake) and mines (Oronogo & Bonne Terre), or, is a dry suit really the way to go?

Thanks in Advance for you responses/opinions.

berick:
My wife and I are new divers with only 20 dives in warm waters (Cozumel except for cert at Table Rock). I'm comfortable in just a skin at 79F water while my wife would get a bit chilled in a 3/2 on the 3rd dive of the day.

We're planning on exploring some of the diving in Missouri/Arkansas this spring/early summer. Is a 7mm wetsuit (with hood and gloves) adequate for below thermocline diving (Table Rock & Beaver Lake) and mines (Oronogo & Bonne Terre), or, is a dry suit really the way to go?

Sounds like 7mm might be OK for you, but probably not for your wife. I dove Oronogo with a 3mm with a 2mm shortie over the top and a hood. I only went down to 46', and couldn't stay down that long. There is a lot to see down below that, but there is no way I was going to make it. I have decided that Dry Suit really is the way to go around here, b/c you can dive a lot more and longer through the year. I'm planning on getting my DS cert this month so that I can enjoy the waters throughout the year. I would suggest that you save the money on the 7mm suits and put it towards dry suits. No sense in trying to stuggle around in something that confining unless you just like being cold and wet!

Just my 2 cents though, take it for what it is, I'm not even Dry Suit cert. yet!

berick:

I have dived at Bonne Terre Mine, and waseven certified there. You will need at 7mm wet suit. There is no thermocline in the cave. it is a brisk 58 from top to bottom.

Denny

I have just recently begun diving dry and will say that it is, without a doubt, the best way to go. Having said that, though, it is also the most expensive. Until now, I have dove with my 7mm farmer john with hood, gloves, and boots. These worked just fine for me down to 47-48deg. in early winter. As long as your just recreational diving, ie:no long decompression stops needed, the heat generated by my body was enough to "withstand" the cold water temps while swimming. The hardest, and most important part, is keeping hydrated with warm liquids betwen dives and finding a way to keep the wetsuit warm during your surface interval. If you don't rewarm your core, the following dives will be cold! I dove this combo all year long. While the full gettup might be a little warm on the surface and above the thermocline in the summertime, you will be just fine below where the temps might be 30 degrees cooler. I will admit that I seem to be a little warmer than most, but I suggest you try it, everyones different. You might be surprised at how comfortable you might be. Hope this helps. Brandon

I dove Bonne Terre in February in a 6.5 semi-dry and was warm. If I was to do it all over again, and was certified, I would dive it dry. Pretty much any place you dive in the midwest you are going to need the 7mm suit. Your wife might like a dry better. If cash is a problem buy a hooded vest. As long as the core is warm the rest will follow.

7mm Farmer John works well for the MO diving in spring, summer and fall. Drysuit is better if you are at all temperature sensitive. You can get a good quality used drysuit for around 500.00 which is the same cost of a good 7mm Farmer John.

The key on getting a used suit is buying from someone you trust and knowing whether or not it will fit. If you get one that needs some adjustments you can send it to www.drysuitrepair.com they do an excellent job.

crpntr133:
. . . .If cash is a problem buy a hooded vest. As long as the core is warm the rest will follow.

Amen. The hooded vest is the greatest neoprene invention ever (for diving, anyway).

With a 7 mm suit and hooded vest you will be up for anything in MO in Spring thru Fall. Being warm to begin with and getting dry and warm between dives is also very important.

*And yes, if you're willing to part with the extra cash, the drysuit is a better alternative, as it also opens up the rest of the year to diving for you.

theskull

bgray:
Until now, I have dove with my 7mm farmer john with hood, gloves, and boots. These worked just fine for me down to 47-48deg. in early winter.

I'm new to scuba and already have a 3mm fullsuit I used to use for winter Jetskiing. What do you think about using a 7mm hooded jacket over the 3mm fullsuit. Obviously the legs would still be cool, but would it be too cool for the conditions described above? I'm in OK and thinking about Beaver lake and Oronogo in mid May.

That will probably be marginal but might work if you stay shallow and don't stay down long. Deeper/longer will probably get you chilled. Before my drysuit I used a 5mm John/Jacket that time of year. If you do try it I would suggest you put the fullsuit over the hooded jacket.

berick:

The Bonne terre mine is warm all year at 58 degrees. You need 7 mm there for sure.
Spring diving in the southof mo is nice at the surface but can get reall cold at 35 to 40 where the thermo-cline can frop to 45 degrees

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom