How much $$ to tumble an AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footie11

Reaction score
Picked up two used tanks for a good price and have 3yrs yet on the hydro. I took the tanks to the LDS for visual. He quoted me a price of $100 each tank to tumble, vis, fill and work on the valves? Does that sound like a good price or not?

Thanks for the help.

Footie11:
Picked up two used tanks for a good price and have 3yrs yet on the hydro. I took the tanks to the LDS for visual. He quoted me a price of $100 each tank to tumble, vis, fill and work on the valves? Does that sound like a good price or not?

Thanks for the help.
Visual plus should be around $13.
whats wrong with the valves? lets say $10. to "check out " valves..
tumble tank..why? does it have oxidation? if so then would have to be hydro after tumble..no guarantee that it would pass..
does not sound like a good deal..take valves off yourself and look inside for any corrosion.If there is none then just get a standard vip plus and thats all it should be..fills would be $5/$8. each..we include it usually with the vip for regular customers.

I had an older steel 63 tank given to me. When I took it to the LDS to be checked, we could see rust inside the tank. I'm not sure of the price, but I think it was around $45 to tumble and another $25 for the hydro.

Service Prices:

Buoyancy Compensator (BCD) $10
Cylinder, full visual inspection $10
Cylinder, full visual inspection w/eddy exam $15
Cylinder, hydrostatic test for up to 3000 psi service $25
Cylinder, hydrostatic test for up to 3500 psi service $35
Cylinder, tumble and clean interior $22
Cylinder, shot blast exterior $25
Cylinder and Valve, prep for oxygen service $40
Regulator, periodic maintenance per stage $30
Regulator, periodic maintenance per stage $45
Valve, periodic maintenance $15

I bought 3 Al80's a year old for $100 each so I would think that is too much.
Just my opinion.....

yeah... I bought new AL80's last year for $99 each, filled with new vis. (the yellow ones in my avatar pic) So $100 to tumble, vis, fill, etc is a little high for the industry.

$100/tank for service is crazy. I bought a new alu80 for $100 from Sport Chalet. LeisurePro.com lists an alu80 for $125.

Here's what the following services involve (+/- a little depending on shop):

VIS: Check tank numbers for expired exemptions, remove valve, remove stickers, look at outside of tank, look at threads, look inside tank, use pick set to check depth of pitting, look at valve, reinstall valve, sticker. Time is about 10-15 minutes, one time purchase of tools is $100-$200 (more for eddy current tester used in VIS+).

Tumble: If rust or corrosion is found in the tank, put it on the tumbler, add the tumbling media, turn on machine, ignore for a while, pour media out, clean inside of tank, then must do vis. Operator time: 20-30 minutes, one time purchase of tools $100-$500.

Hydro: I take tanks to a dedicated hyrdo facility - cost is $10-$20.

Cost of a brand new valve to replace one you don't want to clean up/service: $10-$40.

It's reasonable for a shop to be paid well for their time, and to make a markup on parts. $100/tank sounds unfair to me.

Note: While I am certified by PSI to inspect tanks, I don't do alot of it and the above is from memory. Please don't roast me too badly if I've left out a step. I don't think anyone will disagree too strongly with the time and tool expense listed above. If anything I exagerated the service time.

Go to another LDS and never return to this one.

I thought only steel cylinders needed to be tumbled to remove rust and aluminum cylinders have an epoxy coating on the inside and they don't need to be tumbled. Is this correct or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom