how much to tip for 10 day liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreamdive

Contributor
Reaction score
Although there is a similar thread on right now, it does not answer my question about liveaboard tipping. Thank you for your feedback!

From what I've seen, liveaboards are not bashful about recommending to their customers what to tip. If the recommendation is not already on their web site, I would inquire with them as to what is typical. I suspect there is a regional element to it as well. In Indonesia, for example, the liveaboard's web site recommended each of us tip 10% of the total cost, and they were not bashful with the lecture on the final day reminding us about it.

I hate tipping they should just pay their employees a fair wage

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The lecture would bother me, I usually tip well if I think they earned it and we enjoyed ourselves. Being told to by management would rankle me and the thought that Seya mentioned would immediately come to mind.

Liveaboard standard is 10% of the cost of the trip. No one will think you're a cheapskate if you go 10%, and you won't have to wonder if you tipped enough.

The lecture would bother me, I usually tip well if I think they earned it and we enjoyed ourselves. Being told to by management would rankle me and the thought that Seya mentioned would immediately come to mind.

Me too. I don't mind tipping where the service merits it but loathe when tipping is expected. We were once chased across a busy pedestrian area by a waiter after one of the worst meals I have ever eaten and some of the poorest service imaginable. He seemed to believe that we owed him a tip as he had served us. It was a very short conversation that ensued.

I'm 20% on a liveaboard. Pretty much everywhere actually. And always in cash to the responsible party so they can give it to the crew immediately - someone on a boat once told me that CC tips take at least two "cycles" to get to them at more remote locations.

I'm an insomniac so often run into crew members cleaning up long after everybody is asleep and setting up before everyone wakes up. After working a full day shift.

15-20% assuming the service from the crew was good

The liveaboard I was on was 750ish. Cheap 3 day trip. I left over 100 USD which was to be divided between the crew. Some crew members earned it more than others so I thought later that I should have individually given them the way I felt about their services.

I always factor in 10% for tips before signing up for a liveaboard or even land-based dive trip. Depending on the quality of service I receive, the tip could go up or down a bit. I have a very good idea of how much salary the crew, dive masters, instructors, kitchen staff are paid. It is not much compared to all the hard work they put in just to keep their guests happy and worry free. I have observed dive staff wear many hats day in and day out on a liveaboard trip. They work non-stop. While observing the crew, I try to imagine myself doing their work so I can appreciate their efforts better. This way, when I tip, I tip with a gracious heart.

I would like to comment on what 'Seya' posted above about 'just paying their employees a fair wage.' The dive industry is quite mature and very competitive. It has established a pay standard that is expected by someone looking at making a career in the dive industry. I am sure a dive master or instructor won't work for a particular dive op if the pay is below industry standard. It is like someone accepting a job and then grumbling about their pay later. If you do not want the pay scheme or pay rate and benefits being offered by a prospective employer then don't take the job. I don't know the actual pay rate of dive op employees but I do know that they are paid a base salary plus commissions just like a salesman or a restaurant waiter or a barkeep. The best thing about this kind of pay scheme is that the employees are motivated to work hard and give their all to earn extra money through commissions which is not a bad thing. You earn what you sow. You do good, you earn big bucks and a good reputation. The bad thing is when you pay someone a large salary every month and then that employee provides you with crappy service simply because they simply do not care. There is no motivation for them to do so and aim high. Employees like these are mostly found in most government offices and most unionized work environments. They leave a very bad taste in my mouth every time I encounter them in my day to day professional life.

As for the 'tip speech' given by some liveaboard ops, I do not take it personally. I see it as just a blanket statement of sorts. Remember that these businesses cater to all kinds of divers from all walks of life and cultures. Some people do not know how to tip and why they should tip. It is just that simple. I believe that the crew is just helping their customers realize the value of tipping. At times, they have to resort to acting or sounding blunt to get their message across to dense customers. While I do not support this kind of method, I do believe in employing subtle hints and leaving it at that. If some customers do not tip then that's how it is. Just move on.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom