how much to tip for 10 day liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd you don't work hard you lose your job. Getting a tip shouldn't be a motivator to put in a honest days work. It drives me crazy that employers do not want to pay a fair wage they would rather extort customers to make up the difference. Charge more and pay the right wage. But they will just charge more and make more profit.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I love these tipping threads. Pure economic arguments, not always based on reality, but fun nonetheless. We spent some time with a Socorro Island live-a-board crew after the trip. A dinner in Cabo. They were paid less than $70 per day...don't want to "out" them by being specific. They served meals, cleaned, lugged our stuff on and off the panga's multiple times a day, led great dives and were all around amazing. They told us that a particular nationality group never tips, so, on those trips they earn less that $500 total for an 8 day trip. I will tip 10% until the cost exceed $3500, then it is dollars not percentages. These guys and management told us in casual chats that for a $3500 trip, if they earn between $200 to $350 per person in tips they are very happy. Next live-aboard is very expensive, if my spouse and I did 10% it would be over $1,100 for the two of us. I'm thinking, for two, in the $800-$900 range. It's all personal choice, but as a former waiter and bartender through college and law school, I'm biased to do as much as I can.

Rob

My theory is that the "10% standard" is sort of compromise between the 20% that tip-happy Americans think of as normal and the 0% that Australians and Europeans and perhaps others think of as normal--a compromise that every diver should be able to live with. I suppose an exception might be someplace--and I can't think of any--where Americans just don't go. I doubt any liveaboard anywhere in the world falls into that category.

Although not related to a liveaboard, one of the resorts we frequent on Utila, I know for fact that the boat captain is paid $30 per day, DMs a bit less. The captain is there before breakfast and still working on boat cleanup when we are enjoing an icy cold Salva Vida. On days with night dives figure he has done a 15 hour days for $30. Do we tip generously, you bet.... Forget about the liveaboard owners and what they pay. As Wookie mentioned, 10% is standard.

I've always given around 15% on a liveaboard. I get that in the US it's pretty much expected that you'll tip and mentally I just add that extra 15% to the cost of the trip. The system is idiotic and I wish that they'd just raise prices and pay crew members more, but I'm certainly not going to penalize hard working people for the US's stupid tipping culture. Every boat crew I've had has more than earned their money.

Although not related to a liveaboard, one of the resorts we frequent on Utila, . . . .

Speaking of Utila, the hordes of young, mostly European backpackers who pass through for a little diving on their year-long odysseys generally do not tip. But they use the independent dive ops in town and do not stay at resorts.

My theory is that the "10% standard" is sort of compromise between the 20% that tip-happy Americans think of as normal and the 0% that Australians and Europeans and perhaps others think of as normal--a compromise that every diver should be able to live with. I suppose an exception might be someplace--and I can't think of any--where Americans just don't go. I doubt any liveaboard anywhere in the world falls into that category.

Orkney? Ireland?

And how many people does it take to run a boat? I guess it depends if having your towels folded into swans is key to you diving enjoyment.

I typically tip 10%, possibly more if I think they did a particularly good job. As a percentage of the boat cost, which is set by the trip length, that satisfies any length trip. My goal in doing that isn't to fix whether someone is getting the pay they should but simply to reward for a job done well. It is possible for them to do a halfass job, so I think a potential encouragement is a good thing. I'd note that your tip could be covering quite a few people, including some you never see that may be deep in the bowels of the boat. Judging by the heat already in these places, you can imagine the heat and noise of the engine room. They would be dragging my lifeless body out in a fraction of the time these guys stay there. Any beef over the economics of paying someone for a job is really with the boat owners and once you are onboard for the trip, you're past that and it's about the guy working on the boat. There are many benefits to treating them well before and after you get off the boat, most of them not monetary but worth much more. That said, the tip is still based on the job they did, and isn't automatic. YMMV

They should pay a fair wage. And if "they" did I am sure the cost would be borne by the owners out of the goodness of their hearts.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom