How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you think a Cozumel divemaster sits in the hierarchy of jobs to have in Cozumel, say compared to a bartender or a waiter in a busy restaurant?

There are some true experts on the board who might chime in.

One of my best friends is a long-established Cozumel divemaster. He lives pretty close to the bone. He did manage to buy a small lot out in the jungle where there's no electricity and has been slowly buying things like bags of cement and concrete blocks when he can. If his computer or phone (usually donated by a friend) breaks, he can't afford to get it fixed. Once he had to sell his Miflex regulator hoses to get money for food, and has had to sell his scooter at times and hitch rides to work. I'm not saying he's great with money or that other DM's might not do better, but he is more financially insecure, especially for the hours he works, than anyone I know in the US. He tells me that the difference between making it as well as he does and being completely unable to do things like buy food is tips.

For a two tank dive i give $10 ($5 per tank). Very often I am the only diver giving a tip. $5 a dive is all I can afford. I know the cost of everything is going up. I am in the same boat. I have to pay more for everything but my wages are the same as they were 15 years ago. Pretty soon I will not be able take diving trips at all.

For a 2-tank trip: If they do a good job, I give them $60 for the two of us. $80 if they do a stellar job. Less if they don't.
How generous. $30-40 each for a 2 tank trip. Wow.

This is another advantage to Bonaire , save a ton by being your own dm
Yeah, no DM to get in your way pointing out things, no DM to back up your safety, no captain to come looking for you, no one to carry your tanks, weights, and gear for you, etc. You work cheap, huh.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2015 at 09:44 AM ----------

Yeah, no DM to get in your way pointing out things, no DM to back up your safety, no captain to come looking for you, no one to carry your tanks, weights, and gear for you, etc. You work cheap, huh.
Definately , and efficient too

You mean like actually scuba diving like you were certified to do?

I'm looking for the final slip down the slope to hell, where I can find a dive operation that will tether a line to me haul me down to depth, pull me along the dive, take pictures of interesting things with my camera for me, hold me at my safety stop, pull me out of the water with a sling, pour a beer down my throat back on the boat. Exertion is totally over-rated.

Last edited:
How generous. $30-40 each for a 2 tank trip. Wow.

I believe in rewarding people for their efforts. I have no problem giving nothing if it's warranted, and I will tell them why so it's real clear what my expectations are and why they didn't meet them -- they are not unrealistic by any means, and this has only happened one time in Cozumel when a DM took us 45 min across the sand against the current to see nothing.

You mean like actually scuba diving like you were certified to do?

I'm looking for the final slip down the slope to hell, where I can find a dive operation that will tether a line to me haul me down to depth, pull me along the dive, take pictures of interesting things with my camera for me, hold me at my safety stop, pull me out of the water with a sling, pour a beer down my throat back on the boat. Excretion is totally over-rated.
Oh, I've been on plenty of boats where they did not put a DM in the water at other destinations, but still had a DM onboard to assist in needed rescues (seen a few!) and a skipper who chased me down when I got swept away. Some skippers do not share in tips, some do - I still tipped. I dislike expected tipping as I said early here, but do contribute. I also appreciate safety divers, safe skippers, meals served on some of those boats, etc. Different protocols for different destinations.

I believe in rewarding people for their efforts. I have no problem giving nothing if it's warranted, and I will tell them why so it's real clear what my expectations are and why they didn't meet them -- they are not unrealistic by any means, and this has only happened one time in Cozumel when a DM took us 45 min across the sand against the current to see nothing.
Ok, so you tip 2 to 3 times as much as most. Your call.

Yeah, no DM to get in your way pointing out things, no DM to back up your safety, no captain to come looking for you, no one to carry your tanks, weights, and gear for you, etc.
Pretty much like a normal dive in Scandinavia or the UK...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom