How Much Should Certification Cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And yet we are not awash with the dead bodies of poory trained OW students...

My LDS charges $150 /person (+gear, +book/materials)
Is this "substandard/impossible" charge a sure recipe for my death ?

Of course not.

Would it be great if OW course WERENT a loss leader for LDS's to be able to get new customers? sure.

But they are, or at least they are for LDS's that wish to ENCOURAGE diving/new business.

Gear and book/materials will cost another $200 minimum, more if you're going to buy better gear. And what about the checkout dives. For $150, I'm sure that's not included. Neither is the rental gear for checkout weekend. Tap on at least another $200 to that. Now we're up to $500.

Hi! I went diving for the first time in Costa Rica, and I loved it, so now I want to get certified with PADI. I split my time between DC and RI (college student), and looking at dive shops in both areas, it seems like certification is about $400. Some of my already-certified friends told me that those prices are absurd, and it should be more like $250-$350 for the course and dives. Does anyone know how much PADI certification should cost? Also, any recommendations for dive shops in either RI or DC?

$400 seems about right, possibly even a little low...but I'd like to know what was included in your friends' $250 class. Like others have said, you have to find out what is included. If everything is extra, a class that is $250 may end up costing more than an all inclusive class in the $400-$500 range. I paid $500 and it included class/pool/ow/quarry passes/rental gear (except mask,fins, boots)/ and project AWARE c-card.

I have since switched shops and I believe they charge $425 for all inclusive course. I was at the pool during one pool class and they had a very small class, which I would have liked during my ow class. The link to my current shop is in my sig line and they are in Northern Virginia.

$400 seems about right, possibly even a little low...but I'd like to know what was included in your friends' $250 class. Like others have said, you have to find out what is included. If everything is extra, a class that is $250 may end up costing more than an all inclusive class in the $400-$500 range. I paid $500 and it included class/pool/ow/quarry passes/rental gear (except mask,fins, boots)/ and project AWARE c-card.

I have since switched shops and I believe they charge $425 for all inclusive course. I was at the pool during one pool class and they had a very small class, which I would have liked during my ow class. The link to my current shop is in my sig line and they are in Northern Virginia.

It depends on the area that you live in and the instructors that are available. Some instructors are just more expensive. In my area of Pensacola Florida $400 just got you knocked in the head... Open Water is $179 and includes tuition, books, video/audio discs, log book, dive tables, equipment rental, dives and card fees... This dive shop is one of the best if not the best in the area also. They are not there to make money, they are there to promote diving. Heck here in Djibouti Africa, a 3rd world country, the price is cheaper than $400.... Make sure you talk to the people who run the shop, do the certification and the customers who have been certified by them. Good luck and check around...

My class (PADI) was 386.00, that was total with tax. This price included, class, books/book, DVD, dive gear minus personal gear (mask, fins and snorkel), tank fills, ride to dive site for OW dives this also included a 5th dive (drift) at the end, and a picture OW dive card when/if you complete the course....

I agree that it depends where you are located...plus supply and demand. There are a lot more dive shops in FL than here in DC...plus as many people who move here learn the hard way...everything is more expensive in DC (well unless you move from CA or NY). I talked to four shops when I was signing up for open water, they were all around $500.

Just to clarify, I understand everyone's arguments about not getting certified on the cheap, and if I had the money I would spend as much as I needed on top-notch instruction, but unfortunately I have the choice of getting certified for $400 or less or not getting certified at all, because as a college student I don't have enough money to spend on all the bells and whistles. I already did a resort dive in Costa Rica and found it very easy, my boyfriend is a rescue diver, and I don't plan on doing any really dangerous dives until I can afford some of the advanced certifications, so I think I'll be fine for the time being with the cheapest certification course I can find.

Just to clarify, I understand everyone's arguments about not getting certified on the cheap, and if I had the money I would spend as much as I needed on top-notch instruction, but unfortunately I have the choice of getting certified for $400 or less or not getting certified at all, because as a college student I don't have enough money to spend on all the bells and whistles. I already did a resort dive in Costa Rica and found it very easy, my boyfriend is a rescue diver, and I don't plan on doing any really dangerous dives until I can afford some of the advanced certifications, so I think I'll be fine for the time being with the cheapest certification course I can find.

To dive safely,for both your BF and yourself requires a commitment in both time and $.Not to say that its super expensive,compared to many other activities it can be considered a bargain. The training is cheap overall for a lifetime activity.If you cannot do the commitment I suggest not getting certified and do the resort dives when you travel. Get certified when you can make the commitment,or else you will be one of the "tried it and now lets do something else" crowd and drop out.
Your statement about "don't plan on doing any really dangerous dives" can be misleading.If you ask any experienced instructor where most people have a problem that can escalate to a very dangerous situation I would think the answer would be "on the surface"...can be on the easiest of dives.
As to how much it costs.varies everywhere ..Here in NY the store I teach at charges $269. for ow course and $240. for training dives/rentals.You still have to pay for text book/log book etc,entry to quarry ($50. for the 2 days there)and any gas/motel charges,and standard mask/fin/snorkel/boots.(which can be $200.-$350.)
On the private side for my own students that I recruit on my own I charge $300. for course and $150. for training dives on a boat.You still need to pay for rentals and text/log etc.

The first thing you have going for you is that you are going into this with your eye's wide open.

Secondly it sounds like you have a mentor waiting for you.

The one additional thing I hope you have is comfort in the water. Have you ever been snorkeling? Have you tried your boy friends gear on the sly? I'm not suggesting anything more than wearing a mask and breathing from a regulator while down on your belly in the bathtub with your BF and the tank by the tub. My point there is that even a mediocre class can turn out an OK diver if that person is "a natural". Those that have trouble adapting get left behind in frustration. Even if they pass the test they lack the confidence to continue.

If you feel you have the right stuff and are prepared to do some independent reading and follow up polishing with your boyfriend that you can mitigate a lot of what is frequently lacking in classes.

As others have said the actual cost and value of a truly top notch course, like some semester university programs would make for a very high hurdle.

Shops provide cut rate classes as a draw for future sales. It's through the benevolence of caring instructors that a lot of the good teaching occurs. There are some carriage trade instructors that charge something approaching actual cost and surprisingly there is a clientèle for them too.

The problem with the loss leader class as a business model is that a diver is portable. When I buy a Gillette razor handle I must buy their blades. When a diver is certified the world is their oyster.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom