How much more down time??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How much more down time could I expect to get switch from an AL 80 to HP Steel 100 or HP Steel 100 doubles??

With doubles, I would expect much more then you can stand...With a single, about 30% more? Again-maybe more then you can stand.

Basically the Al 80 holds 77 cuft of air. The 100 holds, get this, 100 cuft of air or about 30% more. I would think you don't need doubles unless you are planning on doing some deep diving or somehting-are you, or are you simply looking for more bottom time within the rec limits?

Definitely staying withing rec. limits. Just looking for more bottom time as I only get about 45 minutes on the AL 80 with depths of up to 50 ft or so. I will probably be doing some wreck diving off of NJ which is between 100-130 ft., but that's probably the deepest. Not ready to get into technical deco diving!!

Definitely staying withing rec. limits. Just looking for more bottom time as I only get about 45 minutes on the AL 80 with depths of up to 50 ft or so. I will probably be doing some wreck diving off of NJ which is between 100-130 ft., but that's probably the deepest. Not ready to get into technical deco diving!!

Your profile sais 0-24 dives,:wink:
Patiance my friend,bottomtime comes with experiance.
The more you dive the more time you'll get.
Just keep on diving,have fun and keep breathing.:D

Your profile sais 0-24 dives,:wink:
Patiance my friend,bottomtime comes with experiance.
The more you dive the more time you'll get.
Just keep on diving,have fun and keep breathing.:D

Breathing?? Who needs that!!!:rofl3:

Yes I am new to diving, I admit that. But i'm also tired of not enough time under to do anything....especially being in NJ. I have bought all my equipment except for tanks, but I found a set of Steel HP 100 doubles with 300 Bar manifold for a really good price, so i'm thinking about picking them up. If it was up to me, i'd be diving every day....I just love it!!

Breathing?? Who needs that!!!:rofl3:
so grow some gills.:D
Yes I am new to diving, I admit that. But i'm also tired of not enough time under to do anything....especially being in NJ. I have bought all my equipment except for tanks, but I found a set of Steel HP 100 doubles with 300 Bar:)D) manifold for a really good price, so i'm thinking about picking them up. If it was up to me, i'd be diving every day....I just love it!!

If the price is REALY good,go for them you can allways split them up when your SAC goes down. :thumb:

if the price is good, buy them and split them, dive them as singles until you have more dives under your belt, then if u decide u want to you have all u need to redouble them.

i don't reccomend you diving doubles untill you have built up enough experience, than take an intro to tech course to learn about the manifold etc... if your looking for more bottom time because your a hoover (high breathing rate), than i would reccomend a Single LP Steel 121 cu ft, and get a over fill to 2,650psi and you got yourself 131ish cu ft of air, if you must dive with 2 tanks i reccomend diving with doubles not connected with a manifold, but are still connected together by the bands, and are considered 2 seperate tanks connected together so that way you can (in OW only, not caves) switch to your other regulator after your first tank gets to 500psi or what ever you feel comfortable as a reserve....and continue your dive, just watch out for your NDL since you will now have an extreme amount of bottom time compared to an AL 80...... oh and also be sure to watch out for Murphy (murphy's law), he seems to always be lurking about..

another thing that might help is, not saying anything about anyone in particular, but get outside and improve your cardio running etc to improve your lung and heart function. This will help lower your risk of DCS as well.

another thing that might help is, not saying anything about anyone in particular, but get outside and improve your cardio running etc to improve your lung and heart function. This will help lower your risk of DCS as well.

I resemble that remark.

And completely agree. I've lost 40 lbs and improved my cardio. It has improved how much air I need on dives. I used to be "the guy" that got to the bottom of his tank first. Now, I'm about average with other divers. I'm very far away from the guys who have been doing this for years or are in great shape.

I would definitely get the HP-100's because they have great buoyancy characteristics, but agree that you should dive them as singles until you are experienced. I've tried doubles in a pool and they are WAY different than diving singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom