How much lead weights do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Responding to the original question of how much weight do I use, I wear a 3 mm full wetsuit and mostly dive in the Caribbean. I found that 12 lbs was not enough and 14 was too much so I went with the 14. I found that if I wear the Bare shirt and shorts under the wetsuit, that the little extra bouyancy makes me about perfect with the 14 lbs. I am 6' 4" and weigh 200 lbs.

If you are diving with zero ditchable weight, then one of the following should be true.
  1. You are not so much weighted that you cannot swim to the surface unassisted.
  2. You have redundant buoyancy of some kind.

Ok.....so here's my first dumb question of the day......and it's only morning here and I have the whole day to just hang in my sweats and watch football with my laptop on the coffee table! I mean the Baily's table!

For those that dive a system with zero ditch-able weight....... like a BP/W and plate, and are not diving a drysuit...... what happens if you have a total BC or Wing failure at the surface? Maybe DSMB or SMB? Something else?
What I did: No lift, no air, negative entry, buddy still on the surface. Thought things through as I'm descending. Realized that in just a rash guard, I'm 6 lbs positive. Shucked out of the side mount rig, and floated to the surface.

Ok.....so here's my first dumb question of the day......and it's only morning here and I have the whole day to just hang in my sweats and watch football with my laptop on the coffee table! I mean the Baily's table!

For those that dive a system with zero ditch-able weight....... like a BP/W and plate, and are not diving a drysuit...... what happens if you have a total BC or Wing failure at the surface? Maybe DSMB or SMB? Something else?
Ditch it all if you need to

If you are diving with zero ditchable weight, then one of the following should be true.
  1. You are not so much weighted that you cannot swim to the surface unassisted.
  2. You have redundant buoyancy of some kind.

Ditch it all if you need to

Those both seem like totally logical solutions.... Thanks for the responses....

Just for fun...... check out this old thread of mine below. Might provide an "unusual" but very effective emergency buoyancy option.....

Those both seem like totally logical solutions.... Thanks for the responses....

Just for fun...... check out this old thread of mine below. Might provide an "unusual" but very effective emergency buoyancy option.....

I remember that, I think I would rather drown than drink box wine :wink:

I remember that, I think I would rather drown than drink box wine :wink:
You may well have had box wine without knowing it. When you buy wine by the glass, in many restaurants it comes from a box. Winemakers have been selling pretty high quality wine in a box to restaurants for decades, and as a former winemaker myself, I assure you that wine keeps well in a box.

You may well have had box wine without knowing it. When you buy wine by the glass, in many restaurants it comes from a box. Winemakers have been selling pretty high quality wine in a box to restaurants for decades, and as a former winemaker myself, I assure you that wine keeps well in a box.
I actually don’t like wine in any form.

The Kirkland box Cab is really not that bad at all for a daily drinker...... But my main point is that the actual bladder along with the included inflate/ deflate valve is actually very robust.... Just say'n.

You question is a good one.

I was diving with a chap at around 30m plus depth when his inflator hose and mount blew out of his BCD at depth. I have a DSMB. He did not. He struggled to maintain depth and was receding to a deeper depth. I swam down to him, attached my DSMB to his BCD ring and did a controlled buoyancy ascent at slow rate to the surface. Redundancy. He went out and bought a DSMB before his next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom