How much lead weights do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.76m, 80kg, stainless backplate with stainless STA with padding on harness and plate, 10l Carbondive tank, 7mm suit, salt water
=> 4kg soft lead

For example....

Here is a picture of me about to dive in Puget Sound in 2010. As you can see, I am a fairly big guy. That was my first time diving under those conditions, and I mistakenly wore my heaviest undergarment--I was sweating at the end of our dives. I estimated how much lead I would need, and when we did the weight checks, my estimate was woefully short. I joked that there might no be enough lead in Seattle to sink me.

I don't remember what I ended up with, but it was not as much as 28 pounds.
View attachment 760978
My real reason for the picture is the woman I dived with. As you can see, she is petite and very slender. You would not think she would need much lead at all, but I was shocked by how much she used. (I don't remember.) She was no beginner. She went by TS&M on ScubaBoard, and SB veterans will attest to the fact that she was a highly respected diver, fully cave certified. I also dived with her in tropical locations, and the same was true there as well--she needed far more lead than anyone would guess. She absolutely needed it.

So each of us is different, and we need to weight according to our own needs. If I were to work with you on your weighting, I would start with about half of what you say you use now and start playing with it as others have described.
John...... That's a great pic of Brackets Landing (Edmonds Underwater Park) with Possession Point in the background.... I taught for the Underwater Sports just south of there and conducted many OW course, nav and night work just north of that jetty behind you.....when the tides were right.

I totally agree with you that proper weighting is what it is and that your pic to illustrate that the "look" or height and weight of a diver does not always equate to proper weighting.

My personal opinion is that "proper" weighting is the minimum amount needed to hover comfortably and effortlessly in 15 to 20ft with 500psi or less and in whatever equipment configuration you are in and whether you are in salt or fresh water.

To answer the OP..... I am 6' 1" 250lbs, Trilam Drysuit, Aqualung MK2 undergarment, 102 or 120 HP Steel with a 19cf Pony and in salt I use 30 lbs including ankle weights that are two lbs each. The temps here average between 48 and 52F all year. I'm not a "tech" diver per say other than some basic and planned deco and some wreck penetration. I dive a Zeagle Ranger BC. I carry 10lbs on a ditchable standard weight belt, 8lbs of ditchable in my BC, 8 lbs of non-ditchable in my rear trim pockets and 4lbs in ankle weights. I could probably go with 26 but I just personally prefer to be 3-4 lbs negative and that's what's worked for me for many years. I can't compensate for being underweighted.

For tropics I run hot and so wear only a rashguard in water temps above 78F. I use a Zeagle Stiletto BC and with an AL80 and a 13cf Pony I use 12lbs total. 6 ditchable and 6 in my rear trim pockets.

One last thing....... I feel that some divers have some level of competitive attitude when it comes to weight. Some feel that "less" weight makes you a better diver. My take is that proper weight makes you a better diver and that proper trim and buoyancy confirms that.

I totally agree with you that proper weighting is what it is and that your pic to illustrate that the "look" or height and weight of a diver does not always equate to proper weighting. My personal opinion is that "proper" weighting is the minimum amount needed to hover comfortably and effortlessly in 15 to 20ft with 500psi or less and in whatever equipment configuration you are in and whether you are in salt or fresh water.

I can't compensate for being underweighted

Yeah the "minimum" Dodi tried less than that and got stuck in an overhead when he could not descend. Nice adventure dive for him.
For myself my 8kg will let me be able to do a safety or deco stop at 5m or 3m with 30 bar in the tank.
If you factor in my torch and camera rig with video lights there is some more weight.

Sometimes I will add more weight if negative entry into ocean swells is required.

I prefer to be slightly over weighted so that I can give a weight to another diver if they are underweighted which does happen. Also found those with the minimum find it difficult in a swell to maintain buoyancy at and of dive and have ended up on the surface. Not an issue for NDL dives. If I am 2kg over weighted that is better than being at minimum. After all what is the point of having a BCD if you do not use it for its purpose. Just my humble opinion.

I am 5 foot 9 230 lbs, I wear an (always new) Oniel heat 4/3 and a Waterproof UH-1 hooded vest, and I need 28 lbs to go under. What are you wearing and how much weights do you need? I would like to compare.

Thanks
I’m 5’10” and 190lbs.
- Warm salt water with 2mm shortie and AL80 on AL BP/W I use 4 lbs
- 65F fresh water with drysuit and light undergarment with AL 80 on steel BP/W I use 14 lbs
- 34F fresh water with drysuit and heavy undergarment with AL80 on steel BP/W I use 28 lbs
- Various other configurations

I agree with others. Find the right weight for your conditions and equipment. What others use is not very relevant.

Just keep notes after each dive. After a couple dozen dives you'll have an almost instinctive feel for weight. I'm 6'1", 240lbs -- Suit / rashie - 6lbs / DUI CF200 - 22 lbs / 7mm farmer john 28 lbs. Tanks / 2x AL80 - add 6 lbs / 2x Steel 72s - add 0 lbs / 2x Steel 120s - add 8 lbs.
I wear half the weight on my spine pad, usually on my shoulder blades, a bit lower for AL80's. The rest as ditchable pouches tank bands, belt, or shoulders depending on trim needed. On the first dives of a trip, I'll wear extra trim pockets on belt and shoulders, and adjust as needed. At the safety stop I check that wing is completely empty and see if I'm breathing off the top or bottom of my lungs. Lungs give me about a +/- 3lb range of adjustment.

5’10” - 164 lbs.
Salt water, single AL80 with 3mm full and 2/5mm hooded vest, no backplate - 8lbs, can do 6 but I like the extra comfort.

Fresh water, 5mm full, side mounted AL80 doubles with cave gear and can light - no lead.

There is no difinetive answer, you need what you need not what I or anyone else needs.

im 6’5” 240lb, weights range from 8 to 40 lb depending on where I’m diving and what exposure protection I’m using.

Ok.....so here's my first dumb question of the day......and it's only morning here and I have the whole day to just hang in my sweats and watch football with my laptop on the coffee table! I mean the Baily's table!

For those that dive a system with zero ditch-able weight....... like a BP/W and plate, and are not diving a drysuit...... what happens if you have a total BC or Wing failure at the surface? Maybe DSMB or SMB? Something else?

Ok.....so here's my first dumb question of the day......and it's only morning here and I have the whole day to just hang in my sweats and watch football with my laptop on the coffee table! I mean the Baily's table!

For those that dive a system with zero ditch-able weight....... like a BP/W and plate, and are not diving a drysuit...... what happens if you have a total BC or Wing failure at the surface? Maybe DSMB or SMB? Something else?
BP/W doesn’t necessarily mean no ditchable weights. Regardless, a dual-bladder wing is a common solution for redundant buoyancy. Alternately, a lift bag is sometimes employed.

what happens if you have a total BC or Wing failure at the surface?
Climb back in the boat? Swim back to shore?

I'm neutral in my 3mm suit at 15 ft at reserve pressure. I'm positively buoyant at the surface (wetsuit expansion). At the surface with a full AL80, I'm less than 5 lbs negative, and a medium breath floats me. For a long swim, yes a DSMB could be more comfortable.

For a larger cylinder like an HP120, that's close to not being a balanced rig, and redundant buoyancy would be useful. (That's why the rule of thumb is no steel tanks with a wetsuit. Yes, there are exceptions to this blanket statement.)

ETA: for a thick wetsuit, that's likely not a balanced rig either at depth. Redundant buoyancy of some sort (including ditchable weight) would be mandatory for me.

Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom