How much lead weights do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have access to a pool, you can also check things after some adjustments. For example, with a full AL80 tank, you could decrease the lead for the test by 5 lbs (since you're carrying 5 lbs of air you wouldn't have at the end of the dive). If your "normal" diving is in salt water, you would also need to drop another 6 lbs of lead for the test (since it's in fresh water). A normal dive would quickly flood your suit as you descended, so pull open your collar to speed that up in the pool. Dial in the weight so your BC/wing is nearly empty. Then for your normal diving, add back in the adjustments you made for the pool test.

The amount of lead is incredibly variable because of differences in kit and environment (even for the same person and exposure suit).
For example....

Here is a picture of me about to dive in Puget Sound in 2010. As you can see, I am a fairly big guy. That was my first time diving under those conditions, and I mistakenly wore my heaviest undergarment--I was sweating at the end of our dives. I estimated how much lead I would need, and when we did the weight checks, my estimate was woefully short. I joked that there might no be enough lead in Seattle to sink me.

I don't remember what I ended up with, but it was not as much as 28 pounds.
johnandlynne.jpg

My real reason for the picture is the woman I dived with. As you can see, she is petite and very slender. You would not think she would need much lead at all, but I was shocked by how much she used. (I don't remember.) She was no beginner. She went by TS&M on ScubaBoard, and SB veterans will attest to the fact that she was a highly respected diver, fully cave certified. I also dived with her in tropical locations, and the same was true there as well--she needed far more lead than anyone would guess. She absolutely needed it.

So each of us is different, and we need to weight according to our own needs. If I were to work with you on your weighting, I would start with about half of what you say you use now and start playing with it as others have described.

I use Al 80 and jacket bc, plus salt water, combined with new uncompressed wetsuit. It makes more sense why it's so high. Thank you, for sharing your information. I tried to have as little as possible, but I guess it's very variable, and I am caring around 30 lbs too much body fat for my height, which is affecting my buoyancy as well.

For example....

Here is a picture of me about to dive in Puget Sound in 2010. As you can see, I am a fairly big guy. That was my first time diving under those conditions, and I mistakenly wore my heaviest undergarment--I was sweating at the end of our dives. I estimated how much lead I would need, and when we did the weight checks, my estimate was woefully short. I joked that there might no be enough lead in Seattle to sink me.

I don't remember what I ended up with, but it was not as much as 28 pounds.
View attachment 760978
My real reason for the picture is the woman I dived with. As you can see, she is petite and very slender. You would not think she would need much lead at all, but I was shocked by how much she used. (I don't remember.) She was no beginner. She went by TS&M on ScubaBoard, and SB veterans will attest to the fact that she was a highly respected diver, fully cave certified. I also dived with her in tropical locations, and the same was true there as well--she needed far more lead than anyone would guess. She absolutely needed it.

So each of us is different, and we need to weight according to our own needs. If I were to work with you on your weighting, I would start with about half of what you say you use now and start playing with it as others have described.
Good ol' Lynn.

With pst hp80s and winter undergarments I need 10lbs lead (plus 5lb plate, 5lb STA), also tend to have a heavy battery canister on my hip. 5'8" 175#, also a Puget sound, Salish sea diver.

6ft 1 weigh 300 pounds no wetsuit use 18 pounds

I’m 6’2” 195lbs. I’ve used anywhere from 0lbs to 18lbs depending on exposure protection, BCD, and cylinder type.

185cm,
100kg,
6kg for 2x12l steel, drysuit with 450g undersuit and 7mm hood for fresh water or summer salt water.
4kg for summer variants for fresh water 150g fleece.

175, 6’0 3/4 wetsuit or 3/4 semidry, hawaii, steel 80. 0 (zero) pounds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom