Question How much is food in Tulum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to budget how much cash I should bring in Tulum.

I read it’s not easy to pay by card, so I guess I should bring some cash.

For those who have been there, how much did you budget for food per day? Maybe around 400-500 pesos a day?

Is it easy to exchange money at a decent rate or find an ATM?

Credit cards are widely accepted, except obviously at street vendors. But you'll need cash, too. Take cash out from an ATM. No problem finding an ATM these days. For endless discussions about ATMs and exchange rates that will make your eyes glaze over, see threads on the Cozumel forum.

Are you doing any self-catering, or is the plan to eat all meals out? Budget of course depends on how well you like to eat. Actually, that's a terrible way to phrase it because to me, the cheapest food is often the best. I don't go for fancy restaurants or the trendy vegan coffeehouse smoothie whatever thing; just feed me traditional tacos and tortas. My weakness is ceviche and seafood cocktails, though, and those can go for 200 MXN. Also, are you budgeting for alcohol or are you a teetotaler? (I love my Bohemia Oscuras, but not when I'm there for cave diving.) If you're not drinking, then yes, 400-500 per-day would work. Anyway, since ATMs are the way to go, even if you don't take out enough cash initially, you can get more during the week. No worries.

When my wife and I travel for a week we take out (if I recall correctly from our December 2022 trip) 4000 at the Cancun airport ATM to get us started. We tend to make our own breakfasts and eat other meals out.

Thanks @Lorenzoid that’s very helpful. I have a weakness for seafood too but I don’t mind eating street food and don’t drink except the occasional cocktail or beer, so looks like I won’t need to budget too much :)

The best money exchange place I have found is in the Chedraui parking lot in Puerto Aventuras. It is right beside the front entrance. Good rates and easy to deal with. I usually cash out there on my way through.
Food prices depend on your taste. If you are eating on the main street or in chain restaurants, it can be pricey. Except orange taco, they are on the main strip and always cheap and delicious.
I tend to run with street vendors off the main hwy. You get better food for basically no money. Eating that way, I can usually feed two of us for about $20usd per day.

The best money exchange place I have found is in the Chedraui parking lot in Puerto Aventuras.
Assuming he's not renting a car but rather taking a shuttle van or a bus, I wouldn't bother stopping off in PA on my way from Cancun to Tulum just to get a slightly better exchange rate on a relatively small amount of money (as you said, good street vendor food "for basically no money"). Also, assuming BlueTrin's home currency is UK pound, he might as well just stick with ATMs for cash rather than exchanging a currency they don't deal in as much as USD or euros.

Trying to budget how much cash I should bring in Tulum.

I read it’s not easy to pay by card, so I guess I should bring some cash.

For those who have been there, how much did you budget for food per day? Maybe around 400-500 pesos a day?

Is it easy to exchange money at a decent rate or find an ATM?
if you were staying in playa i would say you could def eat for that budget if you needed to.
i will defer to the fellas who have spent more time in tulum to comment on the costs there.
but from what i have heard, other than possibly the "street food" (which would be my go to places) the pricing in tulum is absurdly high. restaurants, activities, taxis etc etc seem to be targeting the idiots that are dumb enough to pay what these places are asking. but thats just what i have heard. we have not stayed in that area.

Assuming he's not renting a car but rather taking a shuttle van or a bus, I wouldn't bother stopping off in PA on my way from Cancun to Tulum just to get a slightly better exchange rate on a relatively small amount of money (as you said, good street vendor food "for basically no money"). Also, assuming BlueTrin's home currency is UK pound, he might as well just stick with ATMs for cash rather than exchanging a currency they don't deal in as much as USD or euros.
I can't imagine diving in Tulum without renting a car. How do you get to the dive sites? I can't see throwing a pile of tanks in the trunk of a taxi everyday. I guess if you were taking a class and the instructor was carting you around, it could work.

Oh yeah, I usually bring $1000usd in cash and swap to pesos when I get there. That is enough for cenote entrance fees and food for two people for two weeks. I usually pay for my house with the rest of my pesos at the end of the week and use a card for the rest.

I can't imagine diving in Tulum without renting a car. How do you get to the dive sites? I can't see throwing a pile of tanks in the trunk of a taxi everyday. I guess if you were taking a class and the instructor was carting you around, it could work.
Right. If one is taking a course, you get a lift in the instructor's truck. Same if one is doing guided diving. That's all I have done so far. I have not yet dived on my own down there. I rented a car once, but didn't need to use it for diving because my guide had a truck.

Right. If one is taking a course, you get a lift in the instructor's truck. Same if one is doing guided diving. That's all I have done so far. I have not yet dived on my own down there. I rented a car once, but didn't need to use it for diving because my guide had a truck.
Gotcha. Any course I have taken down there didn't include transportation. I still had to drive to the dive sites everyday. Guided diving is hit or miss, depends on the guide and where you are going.

Gotcha. Any course I have taken down there didn't include transportation. I still had to drive to the dive sites everyday. Guided diving is hit or miss, depends on the guide and where you are going.
We went easy and we chose to do everything with the same instructor to make it easier.

May do differently next time.

I’ll have my driving license anyway and may change my mind …

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom