How much extra would you pay to rent a 100cf tank vs an 80cf tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS here in Guam charges $5.00 for 80's, $6.00 for 100's and don't charge any less for 67's. They deliver to the boat for free. Guam isn't exactly a dive resort though, so this probably isn't the best example.
You can probably get a hamburger in Guam for less than $15 too :)
That's cheap diving. Sounds like you have a nice thing going on there chugger. Wish it was closer and more of an option.

Frank, where did you stay in Bonaire?
Den Laman..
and used Bonaire Dive & Adventure.. and my oh my .. we had an adventure..
Cave Adventure

We spent a week at Den Laman in March and again in October last year. It has comfort, convenience and value. The dive shop is great and we never tired of the house reef, Bari, which just happens to have the highest fish count of any reef in the Caribbean. Probably part of the reason for that is the resident biologist Jerry, who works with the dive operation. We took a class with him and then went out for a dive on the reef in which we saw about 15 new fish including a frogfish and seahorses.
Den Laman doesn't have the 'group' feeling of the larger premises like Buddy's, Captain Don's etc, but it is very very convenient for diving. You are as close as you can be to their diving pier.
In March we stayed in one of the studios in the rear and did not notice the compressor as all. In October the studios were taken so we sprung for a oceanfront one bedroom
icosm14.gif

It is also very convenient to the ice cream store and the mini-market.

Yes .. free nitrox.. Bonaire Dive and Adventure

Last year I went to Cozumel and requested 100cu tanks. They said they would charge $5 per tank extra to have them. The boat tank racks/holders fit the 80's and they are a pain for them to store and handle. However, when I went to check out at the end of the trip, they only charged me $20 extra on for using them... and I used one every morning (used EAN32 on my second dives and they did not have 100cu tanks for nitrox). Let's see, I was there 10 days, dove 9 of them, it would have been around $50 but they only charged me $20.
Also, I leave for Coz again in a day or so (YEAH!!!!), looking at the same deal again. I was assured, via emails, that I could have the 100's for my first dive, EAN32 for my second dive each day... I'll let you know what they charge me this year in about 20 days (don't mean to be bragging or anything, just can't wait to leave all this snowy Colorado weather!!!)

Thanks Stu.. apparently not a mistake on the website. I did the email thing with the operator. They did not engage in justification of why it was so expensive, just "thank you for diving with us, we will put you down for 80's" or something like that. Probably a wise strategy on their part.
Yes, it apparently is very expensive there, but 75 cents per cubic foot for extra compressed air seems like a new level of luxury.

I think its a mistake.Who did you talk to via Email? Talk to Nancy to get the real scoop.I have have been overcharged renting doubles and deco tanks,their pricing structure is a little complex and the desk staff may not fully understand it. Nancy runs a great outfit and will set you straight.

Drom the Divetech web site:
Air Tanks $12.00
Nitrox Tanks $15.00
Nitrox Tanks on Boat Package $12.00
100 cuft air tanks $15.00
100cuft Nitrox tanks $18.00

Those prices are rental tanks for shore dives. If 80's are included for "free" on boatdives I cant believe that 100's are $15 extra.

From that I would have to say it should be $3 extra to upgrade to a 100 cuft tank. Which I would pay everytime.
I don't know about GC, but when I was in Utila on alum 80s we would do a quick check deep(100-120 ft) for some big animals, probably 10-15 minutes then spend the other 45 or so minutes at 20 ft. This was where all the real action was.

I think its a mistake.Who did you talk to via Email? Talk to Nancy to get the real scoop.I have have been overcharged renting doubles and deco tanks,their pricing structure is a little complex and the desk staff may not fully understand it. Nancy runs a great outfit and will set you straight.

Drom the Divetech web site:
Air Tanks $12.00
Nitrox Tanks $15.00
Nitrox Tanks on Boat Package $12.00
100 cuft air tanks $15.00
100cuft Nitrox tanks $18.00

Those prices are rental tanks for shore dives. If 80's are included for "free" on boatdives I cant believe that 100's are $15 extra.
Thanks Ian,
Believe it.. I did what you suggested. Even though I already had 2 emails back and forth with them, I went ahead and emailed Nancy@Divetech.com. She had Eleanore respond to me.
Here is the response.. bottom line $15 per tank .
"Hi Frank,
The cost of the 100cft tanks are an extra $15 per tank for divers on our boat diving packages. To reduce the cost you might want to consider only using the larger tank on your first deeper dive, then using a regular 80cft tank for the second, shallow dive.
The price for Nitrox on our boat diving packages is $12 per 80cft tank, and $18 per 100cft tank.
Please let me know if you would like to book either Nitrox or larger tanks for your boat trips.
Kind regards
Eleanore @ Divetech"

..and how many of each have you bought and put into rental...?
A quick comparison from an online search

For the average diver buying a tank......
At Scuba.com Sherwood 80 cu ft tank 3000 psi with valve = $179.95
At Scuba.com Sherwood 100 cu ft tank 3300 psi with valve = $269.95

At my LDS there is no difference in price for a fill between a 3000 psi and 3300 psi tank (I have two HP steels and two Al 80). They use a cascade system.

There is no cost difference for doing a VIP on an Al 80 or Al 100. I do tank inspections for the LDS and they don't charge any difference based on the volume of the tank. The folks that do the hydros don't charge a different price for an Al 80 or an AL 100. They are set up to test higher pressure tanks.

The cost to O2 clean an Al 80 and an Al 100 is virtually the same. They use the same valves, so there is no difference in cost to clean the valves.

So, the acquisition cost difference is $90 (plus some tax). The differential cost to fill is minimal. Six rentals at the $15 premium equals the cost differential for acquisition. I would have to guess that they would rent the Al 100 more than six times.

$15 is a steep premium.

Al 80s are certainly more common, and will certainly keep the dives shorter.

It is a question of perception and what they believe the market will allow.

My guess is that they have a limited # of 100's, and they count on $15 each for them. If they let them go out for just the difference in price between the 80s than they would be loosing $12 a piece on them.

Seems silly to me, but apparently they can make more money that way, and that's why they are in business.

I would stick with the 80s. There are going to be people on the boat that go through air quicker than you.

Some great posts so far. And Frank- your responses are a welcome thing in the SB "ask and scoot" environment.

Seriously, though, instead of paying these absurd prices, throw down for am instructor and talk to them about your air consumption.

A one time investment of $75 for a quick class will eliminate your need for these larger tanks.

Your instructor, after speaking with you, will look over your dive rig and how you wear it- then they will recommend changes before taking you diving. As you dive, they may run you though some drills and then just watch your style.
I'll wager you'll be getting past this pretty quickly. As your SCUBABoard "dive count" is at 50-99, I wouldn't agonize. At the same time, you may not realize the benefit of revisiting the instructional arena.
Don't throw your money away.
Thanks..
I have no doubt it will get better and indeed it has improved substantially. My wife/buddy uses practically no air though and my air is usually the gating time on our dives. I think I have improved my trim and weighting substantially, but might be using a couple of extra pounds still. It's that first dive of the day.. a lot of wasted breaths in the first few minutes. I don't try to go fast unless I'm trying to keep up with a racing DM.
I use a slight flutter kick and have Apollo splits.
I have a relatively trim Zeagle Stilletto BC and I use an Atomic Z1 reg which always gives me whatever air I want and I don't think about breathing.. I just breath with adjustments for bouyancy. I have done dives in strong currents in British Columbia and my SAC on those dives was horrid (they were about my 14th or 15th dives) . Bonaire was another story ..much much better. I do usually carry a camera and strobe which slows me down even more.
Anyway, I do know what you are saying, but I'm 6'2 and about 225 lbs (not all muscle ) and there probably is only so far I can get with an 80cf. I have contemplated throwing some courses in as well, but I like the idea of just getting someone to critique my diving as you suggested. I actually did that early on in St Croix and was able to get a handle on bouyancy by doing that instead of taking an AOW course.
I'll be doing my 100th dive on this trip.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom