How much extra would you pay to rent a 100cf tank vs an 80cf tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tanks are luxfer aluminum 100cf.
The thing about the $15 is that it is the same cost to someone who just came along and didn't already pay for a weeks worth of diving. There is no 'upgrade' cost..
Nitrox seems to be the same.. no premium, just the cost and forget that you already paid for air.
I like the fact that they have 100's but it just seems crazy to pay another $360 for week of diving (2 boat, 2 shore per day) with 100cf tanks instead of the 80s I already paid for.:confused:
As far as the extra 'handling' .. I think it a bit much to charge $30 per boat trip to say.. "who's got the big tank?" and on the shore dives.. well what extra handling??

..I didn't find the free Nitrox in Bonaire either. Maybe I was just too honest and admitted I took the EANx tanks.
BD&A near Den Laman does free Nitrox if you dive with them.

I would think that if you can afford the dive trip to the Grand Caymans, you are nit-picking about the $15 charge. As opposed to what? Five dollars?
Maybe I can't afford the trip after all.. (trying not to whine). I'm looking for a sense of what's usual / reasonable.. not sympathy :) I'll probably just go with the 80's
$360 isn't loose change for me. Heck I bought my two steel 100s for about that.

Now correct me if I am wrong.

You are NAUI OW right? Depth limitations to your C card and training is about 60 feet give or take?
You suck back a tank like a champ. Which is normal. But what concerns me is you plan on diving beyond your certification level. Is this correct?

Now as I see it. You would be diving beyond your training. Now why do you think a 100 would be better to do the deeper dives. especially when you claim you are an air hog?

The reason I am questioning is simple. You plan on doing a deep wall dive or several at risk to you and your buddy. Your Sac rate is very high and at depth o say 80-90 feet you will suck back that air faster than you think. Thus again putting you and your buddy in a position that can potentialy be dangerous.

My advice. Dive within your training and limitations. you will see pleanty at 60 feet and even more at 30 feet. A 100 at 60 feet will serve you well as an 80 would. Monitor your depth offten and be aware of your position in the water.

it is easy to loose yourself in the beauty and life down there and loose track...

But hey that is just me.

Safe dives

I am asking this just to get a reality check. Wife & I are going to Grand Cayman for a week in April. Signed up for an accomodation/dive package including shore dives (not cheap). Noticed that the operator provided 100CF tanks.. nice... I won't have to cut the dive short for the others.. I'm still a bit of an air hog. Grand Caymans has some pretty deep dives (100fw+) compared to what I'm used to, so I expect to use it up pretty fast on that first wall dive of the day.
I find out when I sign up that they charge $15 extra per dive for the 100CF tanks even though I have a package and 80cf tanks included.
This seems a bit unreasonable to me. Is this common practice?
I have been spoiled by the free Nitrox at Bonaire so maybe my expectations are too high.

Would appreciate some sense of whether this is within reason or not.
Thanks!

You are NAUI OW right? Depth limitations to your C card and training is about 60 feet give or take?
You suck back a tank like a champ. Which is normal. But what concerns me is you plan on diving beyond your certification level. Is this correct?

Now as I see it. You would be diving beyond your training. Now why do you think a 100 would be better to do the deeper dives. especially when you claim you are an air hog?

The reason I am questioning is simple. You plan on doing a deep wall dive or several at risk to you and your buddy. Your Sac rate is very high and at depth o say 80-90 feet you will suck back that air faster than you think. Thus again putting you and your buddy in a position that can potentialy be dangerous.

My advice. Dive within your training and limitations. you will see pleanty at 60 feet and even more at 30 feet. A 100 at 60 feet will serve you well as an 80 would. Monitor your depth offten and be aware of your position in the water.

it is easy to loose yourself in the beauty and life down there and loose track...

But hey that is just me.

Safe dives

I didn't see any certification level posted, and from his website, he seems to be experienced in cold as well as warm water. The guy knows his limits, knows his SAC rate is a little higher than his usual buddy's, and doesn't want to spoil his buddy's dive. He is only asking if 15$ is reasonable, not for a bitchout about his finances or his diving ability.

I would think that if you can afford the dive trip to the Grand Caymans, you are nit-picking about the $15 charge. As opposed to what? Five dollars?

What may be expensive to one may be chump change to another. He's just asking for info here. If you have no info to add, stop your gums (keyboards?) from flapin.

Common practice? Hard to say, since not many places seem to have larger tanks available at all. But then some do and don't charge much or anything extra. $15/tank seems like a rip for what you're getting but they're probably just charging what the market will bear. Your choice if you want to go along with that or see if you can get them to cut you a deal. Or you could compromise and just use the bigger tanks for dives where you need it more.

agree with divewookie - nitpicking and guessing about the diving planned seems unneeded/out of place in this case. And as far as the $, one can have tons of money and still have an appreciation for good value, or not enjoy feeling ripped off.

This kind of thinking reminds me of that childhood song "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly."

My point, in case it was missed, is that many (most?) of us tend to do activities or vacations near the edge of what we can comfortably afford and don't have unlimited funds. So saying "You spent $3000 on a trip so surely you can afford an extra $300 for this and an extra $300 for that and then 10% on top of that for some other unneeded thing" is not helpful or accurate.

I too blow my $$$ on airfare and diving or activities and then economize on food, lodging, etc. because that's where my priorities are.

You are NAUI OW right? Depth limitations to your C card and training is about 60 feet give or take? AGREE .. AGREE
You suck back a tank like a champ. Which is normal. But what concerns me is you plan on diving beyond your certification level. Is this correct? . The option is there. More on this below.

Now as I see it. You would be diving beyond your training. Now why do you think a 100 would be better to do the deeper dives. especially when you claim you are an air hog? 25% more air = 25% more dive time or 20 cf more margin

The reason I am questioning is simple. You plan on doing a deep wall dive or several at risk to you and your buddy. Your Sac rate is very high and at depth o say 80-90 feet you will suck back that air faster than you think. Thus again putting you and your buddy in a position that can potentialy be dangerous. I am aware of the increased rate.. hence the desire for 100's.

But hey that is just me.

Safe dives

I don't plan on going deep for deeps sake.
I will let the boat know that I am OW not AOW. I wonder if that will prompt them to not go to the wall dives or to stay above them. In reality I have been below 60 several times and would feel comfortable going to 90-100 for a short while. I understand what you are saying about not paying attention to your guages when things look pretty. I plan on being diligent about it.. I don't think I have reached that overconfident stage yet.
My SAC has been improving (managed to do a few 1 hour+ dives in Bonaire on 80s), but it is always highest on the first dive of the day and near the start of each trip. I may indeed be happy to stay shallow.
Thanks for caring.

$15 doesn't sound bad, for $360 for the trip is horrible!!! Heck, how much would two 100cf tanks cost to buy down there? Go with the 80s!

As for certification level, that's all just a reccomendation. If you want to go deeper, go deeper. Just know the risks and make sure you dive safely.

Just be aware of your surroundings. it is really ease to forget what depth and how much air you have left. Especially on a wall dive. Narcosis can hit you quick.

and if your diving Nitrox...be very mind full of the MOD you would be using. You are not risking yourself..but your buddy aswell.

Just lookin out for a fellow diver...

safe dive

I will let the boat know that I am OW not AOW. I wonder if that will prompt them to not go to the wall dives or to stay above them. In reality I have been below 60 several times and would feel comfortable going to 90-100 for a short while. I understand what you are saying about not paying attention to your guages when things look pretty. I plan on being diligent about it.. I don't think I have reached that overconfident stage yet.
My SAC has been improving (managed to do a few 1 hour+ dives in Bonaire on 80s), but it is always highest on the first dive of the day and near the start of each trip. I may indeed be happy to stay shallow.
Thanks for caring.

I will let the boat know that I am OW not AOW. I wonder if that will prompt them to not go to the wall dives or to stay above them.
I doubt it, that would mean disappointing the rest of the boat that was planning on doing those dives. There are some ops that will do 2 shallower dives on a morning boat instead of deep-shallow, those those tend to be larger ops with multiple boats. Like I know Sunset House does that. (Who are you diving with? - hmm, I'm guessing Divetech?) If they are concerned at all, which I doubt, they would probably suggest hanging near the top of the wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom