How Much Deco Can you Blow Off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define no "major" ill effects.

I don't know if this thread will really have any value because just talking it over might insite some to try and skip "some" deco because some wise guy is going to post they always leave the 10' stop 5 min early, never breath O2 but replace it with 50 to save $, or someother foolishness.

I know a guy like that. After he had been bent about the 7th or 8th time, DAN wouldn't insure him anymore. So he built his own fully functional Recompression Chamber at his house good to 165' with controls on the inside. He treated himself for bends several times before selling the chamber just this year.

You sure he did a home built that took him to 165'? That is quite an accomplishment. Sounds a lot more lucky than smart to me.

You sure he did a home built that took him to 165'? That is quite an accomplishment. Sounds a lot more lucky than smart to me.

Absolutely certain of it. I could compare it to chambers i've used in the GOM
And I never said he was smart. Quite the contrary honestly.

If I gave you his name, a team of cave divers on this forum would shout "boo's"

Absolutely certain of it. I could compare it to chambers i've used in the GOM
And I never said he was smart. Quite the contrary honestly.

If I gave you his name, a team of cave divers on this forum would shout "boo's"

And everybody else would be shouting b u l l

s h i t.

I knew it was a mistake to come back to this forum and see what was going on.

And everybody else would be shouting b u l l

s h i t.

I knew it was a mistake to come back to this forum and see what was going on.

Brian you are so yesterday, I have a personal chamber made out of some 55gal drums and duct tape. I call it "dbdc superlite" :blinking:

Brian you are so yesterday, I have a personal chamber made out of some 55gal drums and duct tape. I call it "dbdc superlite" :blinking:

Let me guess, it's good to 207.5'.

Came up in another thread.

I know this is one of those unanswerable questions,but, just for discussion:

How much deco can you miss and still have a chance of no major ill affects? To put some boundaries on it, lets suppose the dive was planned using V Planner +2 , 30/85 gradient factors or similar and the missed deco was on O2. Also lets only consider "normal" dives. Skipping the last 10 minutes of deco when you've already done 10 hours of it in Wakulla probably doesn't matter too much !

My personal, WAG is that if its my lucky day then I might be able to miss 10 minutes of O2 deco and be none the worse for it. Miss 30 minutes though and I would expect my diving career to be over.

Thoughts?

I would like to add that the gas one is breathing makes a significant difference. Blowing past stops ascending from an air dive is very different from doing the same thing during an ascent from a dive using helium. Helium has great properties, fast into and out of tissues, non-narcotic, but unforgiving if mishandled.

I concur that decompression sickness precursors also include dehydration, fatigue and many other factors; so much so that deterministic predictions are practically impossible. I've been on dives where people suffer symptoms while others less prepared or in worse shape seem to be just fine.

I would like to add that the gas one is breathing makes a significant difference. Blowing past stops ascending from an air dive is very different from doing the same thing during an ascent from a dive using helium. Helium has great properties, fast into and out of tissues, non-narcotic, but unforgiving if mishandled.

Actually this perception is an erroneous artifact of the Buhlmann models most people formerly dove and got bent with due to the lack of any deep stops. When you blow to the surface, the bubbles in your blood are disproportionally N2 even after trimix dives.
Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/2613
It seems to be a function of total mass in the tissues and solubility.

I think it greatly depends on your body composition (i.e. health), how hydrated you are, alignment of the planets, luck of the Irish, etc. I was on the Lawrence last year with a spear fisher who seemed more worried about his catch than his decompression. My group and another group were in the midst of our deep-stops and this guy blows past us. We caught up to him at the 20 foot mark for the O2 switch. I didn't catch what his BG mix was. He was ok and never heard of anything happening to him.

The one thing that I did notice was he was very physically fit, and it didn't seem to bother him that he blew it. Needless to say the captain was not happy with him because he didn't drop the hook in the sand, and it snagged back into the ship. I assume he was way low on BG and he was solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom