How much can you bench?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GraemeC

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how much you guys (and girls) can do on the bench press... I havn't beein doing it very long and i can do 112 lbs 2 sets 8 reps (im 150 lbs) with a min or so break inbetween sets.. The reason im asking (mostly) is a guy I go to school with Lincon is a monster.. his arms look like they could be the size of arnold's.. I have a smaller build but I think im somewhat muscular.. and his traps are probably the same size as my biceps.. (and there are no steroids involved).. So anyways someone asked him today how much he could bench and his answer was 315 pounds (said in a casual voice).. haha I had to hold my jaw closed... So ya how much can you guys bench?

He benches over 300 and your biceps are as big as his traps.. You (or he) must be strange looking individuals.

would you believe six metric tons?

I would not disbelieve your muscular friend. Some people can just bench. I never could do much. My brother could bench 265 in high school when he only weighed 165. My son weighs 135 and told me he just benched 210 three times. I weigh 185 and can't do more than he can. But I'm an old fart....

Like Hank49 said, some folks are very strong bench pressers.

I once worked out with a guy who warmed up with a 12 rep set of 225 pounds.
He then went to 315.
Then 405.
He became serious on the 4th set: 455

Before I injured my neck, which caused numbness and great difficulty with my left arm and shoulder areas, I was repping (6-8) 265/270. Best "one time" was 300.

I've read that it's "generally" a measure of good strength if you can bench press your own weight.

G_M

Green_Manelishi:
I've read that it's "generally" a measure of good strength if you can bench press your own weight.

G_M
I used to be able to do this quite easily. Unfortunately, the amount I have to bench has increased significantly. Beats me why.:huh:

I used to rep 260 when I weighed 185. That was 12 years ago though. You want to see some real weight? Check out THIS guy! I know his Dad. He's a proud father! Ryan is dead set on busting 1,000lb, and he's getting closer every month!

Here's a google video of him doing 800lb.

-Ben M.

airsix:
I used to rep 260 when I weighed 185. That was 12 years ago though. You want to see some real weight? Check out THIS guy! I know his Dad. He's a proud father! Ryan is dead set on busting 1,000lb, and he's getting closer every month!

Here's a google video of him doing 800lb.

-Ben M.

With all due respect ...

Something does not look quite right. If those are 45 pounds plates there seem to be only 12 on the bar (6 on each side). That's well under 800 pounds.

Green_Manelishi:
With all due respect ...

Something does not look quite right. If those are 45 pounds plates there seem to be only 12 on the bar (6 on each side). That's well under 800 pounds.

Could very well be correct, the weight sets at the gym I use are color coded as follows:

Red = 25kg
Blue = 20kg
Yellow = 15kg
Green = 10kg

Using those colors and allowing for the following...5 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow (per side), two collars (2.5 kg ea.) and one bar (30 kg) I get a total of 781 lbs. :icon10: Well out of my league for me to argue about the difference between that and 800 lbs. What the heck...I can barely bench press my 7 year old daughter off my chest when we are playing in the yard. Fortunately, everything underwater is basically weightless...so I'm alright.

Is it beer-thirty yet? :banghead:

Squashie:
Could very well be correct, the weight sets at the gym I use are color coded as follows:

Red = 25kg
Blue = 20kg
Yellow = 15kg
Green = 10kg

Using those colors and allowing for the following...5 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow (per side), two collars (2.5 kg ea.) and one bar (30 kg) I get a total of 781 lbs. :icon10: Well out of my league for me to argue about the difference between that and 800 lbs. What the heck...I can barely bench press my 7 year old daughter off my chest when we are playing in the yard. Fortunately, everything underwater is basically weightless...so I'm alright.

Is it beer-thirty yet? :banghead:

Thanks for the information.

I never worked out in a gym with "color coded" anything,except for the cute little, pink, girly-man, dumb-bells :wink: The plates were different sizes and 45lb was the largest. All those plates he is lifting look to be the size of a 45lber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom