How much additional weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
We are about to move from 3mm wetsuits to Xcel 7/6/5's for an overseas trip.

Does anyone know how much weight one would typically have to add when making this change? We will have to do a trim dive but it would be nice to get close.

We are averages sized @ 150 -165 lb and currently use about 12lb.

Thanks

I use an Xcel 7/6/5 with a hooded vest, boots, and gloves, and I use 24 lbs of lead in my Zeagle Ranger. I could probably go with a little less, though. I'm 160lbs dripping wet.

That looks like a good place to start.

davidbusse76:
I use an Xcel 7/6/5 with a hooded vest, boots, and gloves, and I use 24 lbs of lead in my Zeagle Ranger. I could probably go with a little less, though. I'm 160lbs dripping wet.

I weigh 175 and use 4 lbs with a 5mm and 8 with a brand new full 7mm which will turn into 6 in no time. Using Aluminum 80. One of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that 85% of divers are way over weighted.

David: 24lbs for a 7/6/5? you are killing me with overweighted thoughts...

Grajan: try 4 lbs more with absolute maximum 6 more, in fact the 12lbs you use with the 3mm should be enough with the 7/6/5.

Mike,
Thanks for your advice. I agree that divers are often overweighted but I'm afraid it is an incorrect assumption in this case.

I am DM trained and have been diving for nearly thirty years (entirely in warm water for the last ten). I know how to do a trim check and do one regularly - 12lb is exactly the right weight for the configuration I currently dive (carefully checked in cozumel two weeks ago).

Contrary to popular myth less weight is not the answer. The correct weight is the answer. Being too light makes safety stops difficult and increases risk.

Thanks anyway

Mike Veitch:
I weigh 175 and use 4 lbs with a 5mm and 8 with a brand new full 7mm which will turn into 6 in no time. Using Aluminum 80. One of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that 85% of divers are way over weighted.

David: 24lbs for a 7/6/5? you are killing me with overweighted thoughts...

Grajan: try 4 lbs more with absolute maximum 6 more, in fact the 12lbs you use with the 3mm should be enough with the 7/6/5.

Good to hear your thoughts.

Still, i would suggest that you initially try 4 to 6 pounds before deciding to double your weight to 24, 12 pounds is an extreme move that will throw you off quite a bit.
The move between the two suits is not that dramatically different in terms of weight needed.

Thanks,
We will just do a shore dive with a pile of weights on the pier so it won't take long to sort out. I just needed to know how much to drag to the pier from the dive shop.

Mike Veitch:
Good to hear your thoughts.

Still, i would suggest that you initially try 4 to 6 pounds before deciding to double your weight to 24, 12 pounds is an extreme move that will throw you off quite a bit.
The move between the two suits is not that dramatically different in terms of weight needed.

Grajan:
Mike,
Thanks for your advice. I agree that divers are often overweighted but I'm afraid it is an incorrect assumption in this case.

I am DM trained and have been diving for nearly thirty years (entirely in warm water for the last ten). I know how to do a trim check and do one regularly - 12lb is exactly the right weight for the configuration I currently dive (carefully checked in cozumel two weeks ago).

Contrary to popular myth less weight is not the answer. The correct weight is the answer. Being too light makes safety stops difficult and increases risk.

Thanks anyway

Let us know how much extra weight you needed.

Grajan:
Mike,

Thanks anyway
Finally, a good response on the "you're overweighted" bigots, when they see 20+ #'s. There are too many factors in play to make generalizations about specific body types, equipment and weighting needs.

In a 7mil, and a steel 100, I am perfectly neutral, with 500 #'s gas and an empty BC, at 10 feet. By controlling breathing, I can hover at 3 a foot depth. I carry 26#'s with this configuration.

Now, if I can only say the same about my bouyancy control when diving dry!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom