How many tires can you fill from an AL80 or AL63?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The other day at an LDS I noticed that they sell a schrader type adapter that allows you to air up tires from the power inflator hose. It got me thinking just how many tires one can fill up with say an 80 or 63 cu ft tank. I know it is obviously a function of tire size and volume, but I have no idea how much air a typical tire holds.

I have an extra 63 I don't use and thought maybe I would keep it in my RV instead of a small (and slow) compressor as long as it was cabable of filling up more than one or two tires.

thanks,

'bob

Go try it! I used a 13 to top off tires on my car and my mom's car last week and there was not a very significant change in pressure.

An average tire holds 9-12 CF at 30psi.

An average tire holds 9-12 CF at 30psi.

Thanks, that is the info I am looking for. I make several trips to the Glamis sand dunes this time of year and often have to air down my truck/trailer so I don't get stuck in the sand. I have an air compressor I use, but it is of small capacity, so it takes a long time to air all the tires back up once I am ready to get back on hard pack.

I may try using the 63 or even an 80 next time to see how well it works. I will report how well it works.

Thanks,

'bob

The scuba set up is the way to go compared to most small compressors for airing tires back up. I could air up all my tires, and my buddies while everyone else was still waiting on their little compressors, the scuba made short work of 35's. Of course their little compressors were nice and small, not to mention cheap.

Would be a nice to piece of equipment to add to your save a dive kit!
On one of my open water trips, I picked up a nail in my tire. It was a bummer.

I've used mine for years to inflate the tires on the hand cart I used to carry my dive gear around on, and lately my golf cart. Of course neither uses much air. If I could, I'd keep a small tank and reg/inflator in my car on the mainland, too.

FYI.... if you don't have a tank to do this and want a dedicated applicaton, there is a commercial tank for keeping in your vehicle for this.

POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

package_b_200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom