How many Scouts and Scouters are on ScubaBoard (Boy Scouts)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My scouting never mixed with Scuba, no doubt living in CO/OR, and in a time when scuba gear was just foolishly priced (read, the price of a car to outfit in the 70's).

In OR/CO as a boy I was a scout, but never got so far as eagle. My son started as a Tiger, and I ran the den through his 6th grade year, but he lost interest for a number of reasons. Primarily because our pack leadership changed in the last year he was a cub scout, and our den became more unruly as time went by with parents using Scouts as a babysitting service with little involvement on their part, and the kids knew that it was not something their parents took seriously.

I think that scouts and scuba totally mix! Unfortunately in many parts of the country, there is no good way to incorporate the two in a safe fun manner, and to keep it affordable for the majority of scouts/parents.

I'm an Asst Scoutmaster at Troop 1523, Annandale, VA. I dove as a young teen and just recertified as an "older" adult to take a group of boys to Florida Sea Base on our spring break. What a blast. I just joined scubaboard on the recommendation of our FSB divemaster, Grady (hardin).

With this many scouts/scouters I was surprised there wasn't an established BSA or Boy Scout group. Or is there one and I just haven't found it yet?

I'm still exploring.

Randy,
Welcome to the board! Nice pictures from your Rawlings open water training dives on your troop site.

I think this is the closest thing to a scouting scuba forum there is on the net. A great thing about this setting is the nation/worldwide input that occurs.

If you wanted to develop/start/maintain something for National Capital Area Council, we could probably do it under the umbrella of our new Council Aquatics Committee.

As one insightful scouter/diver once told me "BSA is afraid of scuba". If the volunteers hadn't pushed it, I doubt that Scuba BSA would exist. In the NER weeklong aquatics director campschool course a few weeks ago, Scuba BSA was talked about for maybe 30 seconds.

Mike Meenehan

I was a scout as a boy (Star) and became a Leader in 1992 with my older son (now Eagle Scout and 24 yrs. old), and have been ever since. Currently serve as the Medical Officer for the Mackinac Island Service Troop #168 (Governor's Honor Troop) from Bluewater Council in Michigan. Also a Committee member for Pack 178. Youngest son is 8.
Scouting helped me realize my lifelong interest in SCUBA, I got certified in 2006 and have loved every minute under the surface of the water.

Made it to Life Scout before a tragedy in the Troop and I dropped out....one of my biggest regrets now that I look back on it. From the day my first son was born I could not wait to get him (and me) into Scouting. Currently the Pack Leader, but have been a leader in some capacity since his first day as a Tiger. He crossed-over to Boy Scouts in February and is at his first Boy Scout summer camp this week....my other son is a Webelo (and a diver!!).

Made it to Life Scout before a tragedy in the Troop and I dropped out....one of my biggest regrets now that I look back on it. From the day my first son was born I could not wait to get him (and me) into Scouting. Currently the Pack Leader, but have been a leader in some capacity since his first day as a Tiger. He crossed-over to Boy Scouts in February and is at his first Boy Scout summer camp this week....my other son is a Webelo (and a diver!!).

I only made it to First Class, before moving over to Explorers. I, too, have always regretted not staying in the Boy Scout program long enough to make Eagle.

When my son was born, I really looked forward to being able to be a Boy Scout again and share the fun and excitement with him. His Eagle Court of Honor was a couple of weeks ago, 12 of his 18 years having been a youth in Scouting. Now, he's off to college and I'm still a Scoutmaster, having a blast!!

Hang in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom