How Many People Have Advanced Medical Training

What is your Advanced Level of Medical Training?

• Emergency Medical Technician

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Paramedic

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • LPN

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • RN

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Physicians Assisitant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MD/DO

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an EMT and work for the fire Department here. Last year, I had to handle 2 diving emergencies while diving, one of which resulted in a fatality, the other a trip to a chamber (not for me or anyone else with me) I think we have such a high number of accidents here for two reasons:

1 Tourists who come here and either only dive once in a blue moon or have taken a resort course

OR

2 Residents who- and I hear this ALOT- "Certified a couple of years ago, but I haven't been diving since"

i too am an ex-emt basic, life just got too hectic to keep up all the on going ed you have to take. so im stuck with cpr training every year and my medic first aid training
sam

I was really amazed at how many DOs and MDs there are according to the poll! I've always wondered if there is a high percentage of divers in the medical profession. This past weekend I went on a trip, and there were three MDs, an RN and a dentist...and there were only like nine people in our group, including instructors and DMs!!

Do any of you folks with advanced medical training ever feel nervous about sharing that fact with those on a dive boat/trip....

Not that you wouldn't jump right in to help in an emergency....
But what about the liability issues....
How do you deal with that?

if we told you we would have to kill you. Well maybe not quite that extreme. But I think for most folks with advanced training or this is their livelyhood, they just want to blend in and just be one of the divers and leave all the rest behind.

As for liability in a real emergency situation there are Good Samaritan laws. However these vary from state to state(in the USA) and maybe they protect you and maybe they don't.

Also simply because a person has an MD or DO or RN after their name doesn't mean that they are the best people to deal with an emergency. An active busy paramedic or EMT might be the better person to take charge of the situation. So I think its really best for medical professionals to remain quiet about their training or the alphabet soup after their name.

I think it is possible to help in an emergent medical situation without flashing the credentials....

But what happens when someone with less training is taking control of the situation and it is obvious that they are not giving appropriate care?

If it was me I would jump right in. -- That is if I had the training and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I did take a lifegard and CPR/First Aid for the professional Rescurerback when I was 16, but I havn't kept up. I plan on taking CPR again and also some first aid courses. I am also a DAN O2 provider (Our club and pres as the O2 kit that is taken on all dives)

and I situation that I have been in a time or two. A lot depends on the actual situation. In my case I was able to diplomatically take over in one situation through questioning the particular care giver and quietly giving my particular credentials. The person relinquished control to me but continued to assist me and we worked the rest of the situation as a team.

The other times it involved situations where I started out in control and was expected to relinquish control to those in uniform when the arrived. I will spare the details but I made it plain to appropriate witnesses at the scenes that I was in disagreement with the treatment that was being provided.

As you can imagine this is a sensitive area for medical professionals.

The best thing is for all divers to become aware of the Good Samaritan laws in the areas where they dive and take the rescue courses offered by their preferred agency

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom