How many own a O2 analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own an OxySpy:

http://www.aquaticcenterroch.com/RToxyspy.htm

It came with its own case, and I converted the case to hold not only the O2 analyzer but also my compact scuba tool kit with spare O rings etc as well. I always bring it with me in my gear bag on all dive trips, shore or boat or travel.

It cost about $150 on sale, and the annual replacement parts run about $100 as well (batteries and sensor).

It is really nice to have your own, whether you dive on boats or pickup your fills from stores. But it is not critical. All boats that offer nitrox, and all stores that do, will have an O2 analyzer that you could use. However I have run into the situation where the store's analyzer did not work, and there was no one at the store at the time who knew enough to fix or replace it. The same thing could happen on a boat as well. You are always better off with your own well-maintained gear.

If you dive a lot (monthly or more), then it is worth getting your own. If not a lot, then it is probably not worth it to you.

I do have my own analyzer. I have been on boats where MY analyzer was the only one on the boat period. The tanks were provided by the boat and they were labled but no analyzer was made available by the boat. This has since been remedied and the boat now has an analyzer so at least that little problem has been put to rest. The fact remains that myself and 5 other divers all were forced to use my analyzer, If I had not had one then we would have been forced to trust the lables on the tanks, which by the way were within the 1% error rate of analyzers. So at least the lables were correct, but we only knew this by verifying them with my machine.

I built mine from a kit available at RC Dive Technology, the kit is easy to put together with basic soldering skills. Frankly the hardest part is cutting the square holes in the plastic case. I upgraded my kit to the longer life sensor for a few dollars more, just give them a call on the phone.

I think it is a really good idea to have your own analyzer. The shop, the boat, the rental facility all should have one available to you but if they don't then you are up the creek.

Mark Vlahos

Ann Marie:
So what is the deal about the analyzers only lasting a year or two?
The O2 sensor is a little fuel cell that generates electricity as it reacts with the O2. This uses up the sensor eventually. That's why capping off or otherwise sealing the sensor so that air/O2 doesn't react with the sensor while in storage will extend the sensor life.

I bought/built my own El Cheapo kit from Oxycheq. Mark is right, the hardest part was cutting the holes in the case (dremel works great). Make sure you have a low wattage fine point iron or the soldering can be tricky. The sensor with the kit is rated at 3 years and mine is over a year and still going strong. I don't dive a ton but when I do I try to dive nitrox. So far I haven't found any tanks mismarked but when it comes to safety, what's a $100 and $60 (new sensor) every 3 years after?

Charlie99:
The O2 sensor is a little fuel cell that generates electricity as it reacts with the O2. This uses up the sensor eventually. That's why capping off or otherwise sealing the sensor so that air/O2 doesn't react with the sensor while in storage will extend the sensor life.

Almost immediately after my class, I went to ebay and found one.

I had it for about 2 years - kept it in a double zip lock between uses. Found that after almost two years, it still worked great, but figured I could use the cash more than the analyzer, so I eBayed it for more than I paid for it.

Every shop that fills has one or two laying around, and every boat that fills has at least one. Calibrate the on-site unit, use it, and keep your cash.

That's my vote, anyway.

---
Ken

Ann Marie:
I am scheduled to start a nitrox class in about 2 weeks. For those of you that already dive with nitrox, how many of you own your own O2 analyzer? I don't know if I should purchase one or not. Wouldn't a dive shop that was filling the tank have an analyzer that I could use to test the mixture when I picked up the tank?

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Not only do I own an O2 analyzer, but I also have a helium analyzer. But thats for different diving.

O2 analyzers do not cost that much $, but if you dive from a local shop that offers and analyzer, I would suggest analyzing your cylinders yourself before you leav the shop.

Mistakes can happen, and its your *** on the line if it does. Just because someone works in a dive shop, does not mean they know jack about mixing, or even diving in general for that matter.

Curt Bowen:
Not only do I own an O2 analyzer, but I also have a helium analyzer. But thats for different diving.

O2 analyzers do not cost that much $, but if you dive from a local shop that offers and analyzer, I would suggest analyzing your cylinders yourself before you leav the shop.

Mistakes can happen, and its your *** on the line if it does. Just because someone works in a dive shop, does not mean they know jack about mixing, or even diving in general for that matter.

what he said.

The important thing is to analyse your own gas to be sure what it is. I don't really think it matters much who owns the analyser.
Recently on a liveaboard over 22 dives which were all supposed to be 32% my tank was filled incorrectly with clean air twice. If I hadn't checked them myself I would have been diving air with my computer set to 32% - and would probably have been in serious trouble by going into deco without knowing it. I hate to think what might have happened then.
The point is: never rely on someones elses word or check - you have to do it yourself.

I bought my own because I've had consistantly unsettling experiences when away on trips.

One shop had an OMS analyzer mounted on the wall, hooked up my tank, turned the adjust knob until it hit 32%, then said "There you go, 32%"

Another cranked open the tank valve stuck some kind of pen-looking thing in the air stream, and when the light came on said "36%"

Another said "We fill tanks all day, and they're all OK".

I figured that my life was worth it, and bought my own analyzer to take on trips.

When I get my gas locally, not only does the gas mixer test it, but you can't take the tank out of the shop until you've analyzed it yourself, calculated your own MOD and signed the tank out in a log book recording your MOD and Max PO2.

Whaever you do, make sure that you personally analyze (or watch someone else analyze) EVERY SINGLE TANK, using equipment you trust. It's possible to get a tank full of sudden death if someone dumped in the O2 and forgot to add the air.

Terry

Ann Marie:
I am scheduled to start a nitrox class in about 2 weeks. For those of you that already dive with nitrox, how many of you own your own O2 analyzer? I don't know if I should purchase one or not. Wouldn't a dive shop that was filling the tank have an analyzer that I could use to test the mixture when I picked up the tank?

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom