How many of you wish your spouse would dive with you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know there werre a lot of you who chimed in and commented on the earlier thread " How many of you love diving with your spouse?" But I noticed there were a few who chimed and said that they wished that they could have there spouse join them. Well I thought it would be nice for all those who have some experience in getting there spouse to join them in this wonderful activity to share there tips.

This post is for those who aspire to some day have their spouse join them and would appreciate advice or tips on how they can go about doing so with out forcing or being pushy on their quest.

I want to make a correlation on how I got my wife to join me and perhaps some of you can share your version as well as give these folks other ideas that can help.

I first got her to really enjoy the ocean by going their regularly because I enjoy surfing. She was happy being the beach bunny for a few years, until she got the urge to try it. At first I really did not know what the best approach was so I just waited for her to ask and then let her try it. This is not the way to go as I found out. It was a winter time the waves were 3 to four foot and it was cold. She had to put on a wet suit which she was not used to wearing ( being from Wisconsin), and the beach break was getting stronger because of the tide.

I also gave real general instructions which she quickly forgot and the she went for it. I guess watching point break can make you fearless. Well needless to say this beech bunny got worked by the beech break. She got a bad experience from that day and that really freaked her out. I was at fault because I really didn't put much thought into it, and this kept her from wanting to try again for almost 10 years. Wow talk about a set back!!!

My biggest mistake was not considering and making sure that the " Ideal conditions" were present for her to be introduced to surfing. Of course you want the person to also want to try it, but there has to be the right "TIME" where it will be good to try it. The goal is to instill confidence and ease fears. Instead replace fear with fun and the feeling that I can do this!!! LOOK for "happy conditions" when picking out days to get your spouse to come try out snorkeling or other water activities. Try and set the mood, relaxed and totally fun. This will be very enjoyable for your spouse and comfortable.

Scuba diving is a water activity that for those who have some fears, can be over come by slowly introducing them into loving the water by doing other activities and by getting them to be comfortable and familiar with sea life. You are the best person to help them feel this way and no other person can do this for them. It can be challenging but I look at the journey as being fun in its own way. These little baby steps toward reaching a goal such as scuba diving is worth it.

"I didn't say it was going to be easy"!!! It will take a higher level of patience and being considerate when taking on this endeavor. But in fact the reward is great for both parties. It really does pay off in the end and your spouse will appreciate your attention and desire to include them. It just depends on how you "choose to treat them". In short having fun is key and grumpy instructions is out!!!

I know there are probably different levels of fears or concerns some spouses might have toward diving in general. Some might have total fear of the water while others might not even know how to use a mask or snorkel. Perhaps some are closer to wanting to dive than others.

What ever the scenario, if you want to ever do something to help your spouse get into diving you are going to need some helpful advice, try and use this board as a resource to help you best get an idea on what to do on your quest.

Good luck and I hope we can all help in some way!

Frank G
Z Gear

My wife of now 30 years never had any interest in being anyplace where she had to worry about breathing. No interest whatsoever. I was OK with it because I was concentrating on my own diving skills, buddies and adventures.

We both love the beach and the Caribbean so I would dive in the morning and she would hang on the beach and swim or read. STEP 1 I eventually got her to try some snorkelling but she wasn't in love with it.

STEP 2 One day on a rather Sandy beach she did some snorkeling while I was out diving. When I got back she excitedly described some fish she had seen snorkelling. I was skeptical cuz the beach was very shallow and flat sand for a ways out. She took me out where she had found a fissure and sure enough There was a mini pocket of Juvi fish with good variety. She was kinda proud of having found it.

STEP 3. Snorkeling on a beach in St. Croix my wife grabs my arm and is freaking out! A sea turtle had Come up underneath her and is making contact swimming with her. We surface in astonishment and the turtle surfaces with us. We found out a couple days later that someone had been giving it some treats, but a great experience and photos.

Step 4. I described and showed my wife pictures of seahorses. Apparently she wants to see one.

Its been 5 years and she struggled with confidence but passed her OW late this summer. She still lacks some confidence and has no plans for more classes but she is all in for our trip to the pier in St. Croix to see her sea horses. Still a work in progress but looking good. I never push her.

Having said that she will not likely ever be more than an occasional diver whereas I am a little crazy about it. I think it will be awesome to share some dives....but not all of them. :wink:

I'm happy having a dive buddy without the memory of a spouse. The bit more casual relationship is just fine. I don't have to keep them company all the time, or worry about their stuff, or hear about it weeks later if I messed up and forgot something that affected, maybe even cancelled our dive last time.
My daughter is easygoing, good company but independent. Especially on a trip I enjoy not needing to worry about coordinating with someone else or keeping someone else happy.

My daughter understands the odd concept of being independent together.

Last edited:
^^^^uncfp

Yup. Wife doesn't trust me enough When we snorkeled together I would leave her so now she thinks I will do that with scuba. I won't.

Going to try a soft sell like they call me tater did. Let her experience a few things on her own and let her decide. We are going to BHB in a month and I will suggest to her to try out the snorkel trail while I dive below.

Actually she has done a discovery dive and not only enjoyed it but dove pretty good as well. So there's hope. I prefer her over my current dive buddy...sorry BRD:rolleyes:

I wish she could buddy with me. Not sure if her main objective would be shell collecting. But no can do-- she has high blood pressure and Klaustraphobia (we had a "friend" named Klaus...). She has a fear of being trapped--like in the 7 mil get-up she sees me donning (not of being submerged). So when I go on that rare charter I must live in the land of instabuddies.

My wife and I make hundreds of dives together each year as long as its warm water, pretty fish and there's something to do.
Looking at wet rocks (caves) and doing nothing (deco) just doesn't appeal to her.

I dive with my daughter but my wife is absolutely uninterested and my son is neutral to the idea. I see no reason why we all need to share the same hobbies.

R..

I was 1st certified in 1970, got recertified with my son when he turned 12, we've been buddies for 18 years now. My wife is a strong swimmer, snorkeled, and was very comfortable in the water, but, showed no real interest in diving. When my daughter turned 12, she talked my wife into getting certified with her. We did this on Grand Cayman with clear, warm water. All 4 of us have been diving together for 14 years now. My wife has 162 dives and is a very solid, safe diver, we have a blast together. She dives with me when the conditions are relatively favorable, calmer seas, warmer water, better visibility, I'm very happy with that

Back
Top Bottom