How many $$ is focus capability worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to buy two canister lights for general recreational diving with a lot of night diving.

I am convinced of the benefits of HID and NMiH, primarily due to burn time but the ability to focus is going to cost me about $300 per light and that is a big hit.

If I go for fixed focus I would get a 13deg beam. Is the ability to focus the lights worth an extra $600?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, it is worth the extra money. Until you dive with it, it sounds like much ado about nothing. Then you get into a night dive or overhead environment, and it becomes worth it. Having the ability to focus the beam eliminates backscatter, diffusion of your HID beam, and improves the ability to signal your dive buddy. a 13 degree beam will not cast its light beam very far and will not be very good for communicating with your buddy.

I dive with my HID can light in pencil beam 99% of the time.

BUT - when I stop to look at critters, I'll usually dial it back to wide angle, and / or put my fingers in front of the beam so I don't zot the critter.

On a dive last weekend we stumbled upon this really big cave opening on Eagle Reef near Catalina CA. As in drive a truck into it big. I dialed it down to wide to shoot into the opening. It was very boring and dissapointing, but at least I was able to get a good look in there (funny - just broken off kelp leaves and maybe 2 or 3 fish...not even any Lobbies. Cool, but a big yawn...)

So the short answer: you'll never regret having variable focus. You won't use it often, but you'll never be sorry you have it available.

k

PS: why 2 lights? For you and buddy du jour, or what?

I bought a Sartek/Abysmal HID from COVCI. I think the "focusable" option was only around $100 more than the fixed beam. I like being able to tighten the beam up on the light when diving in different situations.

matt

I guess I knew it made sense but I was hoping loads of people would tell me I did not need it....

Hawes has a new NMiH HID light coming out for $395. Everything about it looks good except the lack of beam focus.

k, Yep my dive buddy / wife gets all the same toys as me so it's definitely two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom