How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So am i better to get my BM from PABI or NABI or BSI or go for the BIR-F course from GBE???

simbrooks:
So am i better to get my BM from PABI or NABI or BSI or go for the BIR-F course from GBE???

As you can see by the number of logged bulb changes in my profile.
But seriously under what conditions do you expect to be changing bulbs?
I was thinking of continuing with PABI, as I originally got my OBC with them and plan to do my ABC with them also. I don't have, or plan to own a blacklight and thing, so I won't go down the BIR-F path, but that's up to you.

Change often, Change safe.

simbrooks:

I dont care who you do it with, you just have to make sure that you can go down the step ladder backwards, and that you can stay at the top of the ladder motionless for at least five minutes. You also have to make sure that you hold the primary bulb in your left hand, just in case in the future you ever take up technical bulb changing or want to use a BPV.

You wouldnt want to have to unlearn any bad bulbchanging habits you have picked up along the way..

I think GBE requires you have the bulb on a long cord, the backup bulb bungeed and also a bulbplate and wings before you can do BIR-F, but its not all about the equipment, you have to have better skills and buddy awareness. This includes being able to hold position on the ladder with your safety glasses off and still change your bulb, deploying the long cord with other lights out and swapping to your back up bulb in case of an OOB emergency, deploying a liftbulb whilst holding position on the ladder in case you should drop you defunct bulb to prevent it from breaking and making a glassy mess on the floor, you should also be able to calculate you bulb life on the fly by averaging the wattage and voltage of the bulb and connection, respectively. Then of course you have buddy awareness and team skills to work on, making sure that guy holding the ladder up is still there, you may pass him bulb notes as needed when communicating, but of course flash your flight near him to indicate to him that you wish to converse. You dont want to change solo as that would leave you on the high platform of the ladder without buddy support should you go OOB, he can always hand you up his long cord if needed.

anyone that doesnt use a bulbplate and wings is a Broke...

Oh, just do a search!! BIR is a bunch of bull. You have to be certified by the EBC ( Edison Bulb Changers) to know what you are doing and the proper function of the LAMP!! Don't forget that the base should be steel and NOT aluminum.

Check out the new avatar!!

cancun mark:
I cant believe all these people that think they need so much light...

When I took my course, we had to practice with candles for SIX MONTHS before we were allowed anywhere NEAR a light....

SOCLMAO (spit on computer LMAO)

Everyone knows that PABI will let anyone with money change a bulb.

I don't care how many changes a BM has had, I don't count a ladder climb under 200 ft.

mempilot:
I do believe it is lightbulb, since light and bulb are two seperate entities.
If two words (light bulb), one would have to question, "Yes, it's light, and it's a bulb, but so is a tulip bulb." Also, one would have to wonder what a "heavy bulb" is. Would that be another name for a blacklight?

adder70:
...one would have to wonder what a "heavy bulb" is. Would that be another name for a blacklight?
Heavy bulbs are specialty devices only used in certain water-cooled nuclear reactors, typically those employing heavy water to moderate the reaction. The primary source of heavy water is a facility in Norway, so it is unlikely you will encounter any heavy bulbs when diving in domestic nuclear reactors.

Back
Top Bottom