How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to disagree with Simbrooks about buddy bulb changing. BBC gives you a false sense of security that can lead to carelessness. I teach SBC (Solo Bulb Changing) and I teach all of my students to do every change as if they were solo - even with they have a "Buddy". You should make sure the ladder is stable and braced, wear the proper gloves, eye protection and rubber soled shoes, and carry enough equipment to change the bulb safely and handle any surprizes that may happen. without having to rely on a buddy to hold the ladder or hand you gear. My students must learn to do the standard changes in the dark, high ladder changes, obstructed changes. But they also learn to handle broken bulb changes, florescent bulb changes (three different prong types) and how to tell if the bulb is really out or if the switch is off. For information about my SBC course send 19.95 plus 6.95 s/h for an information package.

WJL:
Heavy bulbs are specialty devices only used in certain water-cooled nuclear reactors, typically those employing heavy water to moderate the reaction. The primary source of heavy water is a facility in Norway, so it is unlikely you will encounter any heavy bulbs when diving in domestic nuclear reactors.

But why would you teach one thing to a beginner that might in the future become a technical Norwegian heavy bulb changer, and then have to unteach bad habits later when they progress..

I think we should teach every bulb changer the lessons learned from tecnical bulb changing right from the beginning. That is the reason for the Bulbchanging fundies class. You wouldnt believe what bad habits some of these people have picked up, Most of them cannot even reverse down a ladder!

cancun mark:
But why would you teach one thing to a beginner that might in the future become a technical Norwegian heavy bulb changer, and then have to unteach bad habits later when they progress..

I think we should teach every bulb changer the lessons learned from tecnical bulb changing right from the beginning. That is the reason for the Bulbchanging fundies class. You wouldnt believe what bad habits some of these people have picked up, Most of them cannot even reverse down a ladder!
You forgot that you need different gear to do a heavy bulb change - no one gear configuration is suitable in all situations, but a bulbplate and wings and long cord/bungeed backup bulb is pretty close to optimum on 99% of them.

ScubaHawk:
..........bulb safely and handle any surprizes that may happen..... course send 19.95 plus 6.95 s/h for an information package.

Wong speling for "surprizes"?! Please check your spellng bifore you post. Tri using a dictonary if you wer not suer of tha spilling.

ScubaHawk:
In the future please keep all post about "Changing a Light Bulb Right" to the CIR (change it right) fourm. :)

I disagree. There are more than one way to change the lightbulb right, why should we post it in the CIR forum? I don't understand why we should limit lightbulb changing position to only horizontal position, while I am perfectly comfortable with up side down, vertical and the horizontal mambo position.

comeon people only 6 pages of posts doesnt anyone have any stories about changing lighbulbs/light bulbs? :rofl:

Fly N Dive:
comeon people only 6 pages of posts doesnt anyone have any stories about changing lighbulbs/light bulbs? :rofl:
I once stuck my finger in a light socket - i was 6 at the time.

I find that last post to be absolutely shocking. :11:
But did you know if the bulb is broken off and the base is still in the recepter, you can use a carrot or potato to unscrew the base, bananas are too mushy.

simbrooks:
I once stuck my finger in a light socket - i was 6 at the time.
Five years later your hair is still curly. :crafty:

dlndavid:
But did you know if the bulb is broken and the base is still in the recepter, you can use a carrot or potato to unscrew the base, bannanas are too mushy.
Stick a metal pair of needle nose pliers in there, that'll do the trick, no need for fancy vegetable devices!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom