• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how many sharks have died from eating people? Think they are cycling a petition to get humans eradicated from their waters?

If sharks were able to realize how much of menace human beings are and how much of a threat we are to ocean life and the global environment in general then they would be eating anyone who put a single toe into the water and all of the other animals would praise them as heroes and saviors.

R..

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

35 pages, this post should never have gone beyond 1. I would expect this question from some clueless person at a cocktail party.

People do seem to get some pleasure out of these kinds of discussions. Even though it has the same amount of logic as discussing politics with people who can't think further than the party line, we're up to 350 posts and more views of any thread started since the 1st of January.

Clearly there is some attraction to these kinds of discussions.

R..

I've also had a post deleted early on, ergo, I know where the line lies, at least for me. I've since seen far more egregious posts in a similar vein. Perhaps my biggest mistake was posting a line buster too early in the process.

Your second mistake is assuming the line is clearly placed and invariable. Moderators are humans, and we aren't all reading the same threads at the same time.

People do seem to get some pleasure out of these kinds of discussions. Even though it has the same amount of logic as discussing politics with people who can't think further than the party line, we're up to 350 posts and more views of any thread started since the 1st of January.

Clearly there is some attraction to these kinds of discussions.

R..

Scientifically referred to as "Dog Pile!"

Diver0001, yes, there can be some weird attraction, however, I dont consider it of value to the board overall. No educational value and may very well be detracting from other more valuable postings.

Possibly. But In all seriousness, I don't think too many of us are autistic enough to have still be in this thread after 350 posts. Surely most users ploinked it before reading the first 1/2 page of reactions.

I also suspect that 6000 of the views were Foxfish and 2000 were from moderators trying to figure out how to steer this.... :wink:

R..

But.....shark....attacks.....will......continue.....long after this thread dies.....think about it.....

You make a good point Hank49. If you look at the statistics in our area the incidents of fatal attack are increasing exponentially. I understand South Africa is also experiencing a dramatic rise in the number of fatal attacks. The issue won't go away and is something all divers in those areas will need to consider carefully. The number of fatal attacks in these areas is a good indicator of the risks involved and frequently drives decisions by both governments and divers in this regard.

Scientifically referred to as "Dog Pile!"

Well, I'm sure of the pile part, but I'm unsure as to what kind of animal it once belonged to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Shenanigans. Australia only had 10 attacks and 2 fatalities last year, among the lowest ever. Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Clearly the article and Dr Burgess are targeting recent measures adopted in Western Australia to reduce the incidence of shark attack. The surfer in the picture was partner of a recent fatal shark attack victim in this state.

He slammed Western Australia’s current shark cull as “revenge killings” that would not help. “Killing 10 sharks after a death is not the answer as it does not result in reduced attacks,” he said.

That is a gross mischaracterisation of these measures and only serve to highlight his own personal bias and ignorance. Similar measures have been used in the east for many years and it is widely accepted that they have been effective in reducing attacks on people. Why not comment on them.

Here is a video of Dr Burgess commenting on global shark attack statistics. The video was uploaded in 2010.

George Burgess, Director of the Florida Program for Shark Research, FLMNH - YouTube

He claims that there have been an average four deaths world wide each year in the last 8 to 10 years (Time 1.22). A quick look at the Shark Attack Files SAS indicates that claim is patently wrong even allowing for the possibility the comments were made many years ago. In Australia we've had that many fatal shark attacks in a year. The opening paragraph of the article provides a quote by Dr Burgess that last year there were ten fatal shark attacks which was three more that the previous year. I'd assume he's talking here about what he calls unprovoked attacks which I consider a dubious and artificial distinction. Even so, if you compare that with the numbers in the video then even by his own yardstick the increase in fatal shark attacks is 250% which is a drastic increase in anyone's language.

I'd be pleased to provide more evidence that clearly discredits the 'shenanigans' of this Florida based "expert" or should that be activist should that be requested.

Dr Burgess goes on to conclude based on the erroneous numbers he is quoting that "..the sea is a pretty safe place for humans". Of course the global average statistics have little relevance to what happens locally in an area. If the assertion is taken to its logical extreme then you'd be safe jumping in for a dive at Neptune Islands without protection. Rodney Fox has said that would be 'mad'. The same kind of 'shenanigans' is reflected in the misguided comments by many on this forum.

I've posted the statistics relevant for Western Australia at #293. What I have previously said is that in our state there has been a drastic increase in the number of fatal shark attacks since the white pointer was protected here is 1997. Netdoc, are you disputing that statement. Yes or No?

Would you jump in with scuba gear and no shark protection (ie. outside the cage) behind a boat with cage divers with a number of big, hungry, man-eating white pointers milling around? Would you agree with Rodney Fox that you'd have to be mad to do so? Yes or No?

You apparently live in Florida. How many fatal shark attacks did you have in Florida in the last three years? Provide the source of your statistics.

Back
Top Bottom