How many dives does it take for one to be competent?

How many dives does it take to be competent?

• 100+

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • 200+

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • 300+

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 400+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500+

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi TM,

I think we are starting to split too many hairs.

I think most of us are generalizing on this thread—we are thinking big picture. There are people who can make 1000 dives and still scare the crap out of most of us. And there is the person who can take some training, gain some varied experience, and be incredibly good, and safe, with only 40 dives.

A person who has been surfing weekly, winter and summer, will probably take to SCUBA much quicker than a lawyer from South Lebanon Ohio.

Generally speaking, I think a person whose aptitude is compatible with diving and the ocean, can become competent by performing 100 dives combined with a decent level of training.

Competent meaning they can perform a recreational dive safely, enjoyably, and comfortably. They have enough repetition under their BC to make tasks involved with diving semi-subconscious (you know, muscle memory combined with subconscious reflex).

cheers,
m
I couldn't agree with this more. Sounds like my words regarding water comfortability prior to OW course. Yeah splitting hairs for sure. Unavoidable when we use terms like competent, comfortable in water, having a skill "mastered" (as in--you can do it 9 out of 10 times perfectly or 10 out of 10 almost perfect, etc.).

According to PADI its 5 dives then you are competent to dive without further help from an instructor.

According to PADI its 5 dives then you are competent to dive without further help from an instructor.
Only 4 OW course checkout dives unless they changed that. 5th one you're on your own (well, with buddy, according to PADI). On my 5th one I was so competent my tank slipped.

PADI OW is 4 open water dives plus the "confined" often pool dives. I made my post rather in jest to see what sort of response it got.. Th initial question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string". Exactly what is meant by competent and does it matter? In the last week or so 2 divers have died wreck diving in UK. Both would have been regarded as very competent divers. At this time it has not been made public if the deaths were diving accidents or from medical causes.
Should someone be regarded as an incompetent diver if they do not have very frequent medical check ups? For example to complete in motocross you must have an eye test and if there is any doubt about you fitness a full medical including ECG annually. No such requirement for diving.

The answer to the question of what constitutes a competent diver obviously depends upon how you define "competent." Since people are answering the OP's question, the definition to use in answering his question is up to him. He did define it--twice, IIRC. His definition of competency is a pretty low bar.

All the posts after that in which people offer their own definitions of what the word "competent" means may be interesting, but they do not answer the question. They create the following useless debate:
  1. Here is how I define "competent," and according to my definition....
  2. Oh, yeah? Well here is how I define "competent," and according to my definition....

…Since people are answering the OP's question, the definition to use in answering his question is up to him. …His definition of competency is a pretty low bar
  1. Here is how I define "competent," and according to my definition....
  2. Oh, yeah? Well here is how I define "competent," and according to my definition....

3. One more than you got.

I am not a competent diver yet. I just started diving about 5 months ago, but have taken OW, AOW, nitrox, Drysuit and now Rescue classes. In my drysuit class, I was the most inexperienced guy there in terms of dives (about 20) there were people who did 100 boat dives. When I went diving with them it some were really bad. One person could not get in and out of their BC without help. Another persons bouyancy was so bad, the only way she moved was using her hands like a wheelbarrow to go across the ocean floor. Once we got to the sea wall she tumbled off of it ruining all the holes where the critters live. I cant believe they passed her and she had 5x the dives I had. I didnt have a problem with bouyanacy, at the safety stop I was chilling with the instructor and some of the ppl were doing the elevator and going back first into the ground. It was actually kinda funny watching everything. So I don't think a number of dives means your competent.

I am not a competent diver yet. I just started diving about 5 months ago, but have taken OW, AOW, nitrox, Drysuit and now Rescue classes. In my drysuit class, I was the most inexperienced guy there in terms of dives (about 20) there were people who did 100 boat dives. When I went diving with them it some were really bad. One person could not get in and out of their BC without help. Another persons bouyancy was so bad, the only way she moved was using her hands like a wheelbarrow to go across the ocean floor. Once we got to the sea wall she tumbled off of it ruining all the holes where the critters live. I cant believe they passed her and she had 5x the dives I had. I didnt have a problem with bouyanacy, at the safety stop I was chilling with the instructor and some of the ppl were doing the elevator and going back first into the ground. It was actually kinda funny watching everything. So I don't think a number of dives means your competent.
and here I annoy people with recommending GUE fundies. We've all seen disastrous divers, but have we ever seen one who took fundies? And no, being properly trained doesn't mean only GUE. I'd be insulting myself if I were to claim that. But if I was to send someone to a course (not an instructor that I know is good) that is guaranteed to provide a solid foundation to build upon, fundies would be it.

The more experienced I get the more I realize dive count doesn't matter much without context. To me it seems that there is really only 1 context question that actually matters.

What was your mindset & purpose for the dive?

People can have 100 or 1000 dives but it doesn't matter if they never try to improve or practice any skills. Too many divers seem trapped in the mindset that more dives mean that they are better when it is a bit more complicated than that.

The guy who used to run my LDS told me something once that stuck with me. After every dive ask yourself, "What can I do better next time?"

The answer to the question of what constitutes a competent diver obviously depends upon how you define "competent."

It also depends on how you define "diver."

If by "diver," one means a vacationer who can plan and execute a recreational dive with a buddy in warm, clear, tranquil waters in accordance with the practices and standards taught in their OW course, competence may be achieved fairly quickly.

I know @60plus made his comment above partly in jest. However, that is my expectation for my students before I sign off on their certifications.

However, if by "diver" one refers to the occupational title of someone called upon to perform difficult tasks in difficult environments or to other people with advanced skills and qualifications, competence will take much longer.

Back
Top Bottom