How many dives does it take for one to be competent?

How many dives does it take to be competent?

• 100+

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • 200+

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • 300+

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 400+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500+

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's me. Jacket BC and split fins for 15+ years. And rarely a snorkel unless unfamiliar site witch may have bad current, then one goes in the pocket. Hope I live to make it to dive # 1,000.
Can you frog kick in split fins? Helps to not kick up the sediment for divers behind you :wink:

Look at it this way. You are driving along the freeway, and see a middle aged guy driving along, weaving around while texting, going 25mph under the speed limit, or a woman putting on makeup, or someone reading a paper, watching a dvd, or a professional trucker busy peeing in a coke bottle.

And here in Florida, the stereotypical little old men and women, can barely see over the steering wheel, going 35 in a 50 zone. Or the moron in his giant truck tailgating you with his brights on cause he doesn't think you are going fast enough.

You know these people have been driving for years, how long before they are competent?

Look at it this way. You are driving along the freeway, and see a middle aged guy driving along, weaving around while texting, going 25mph under the speed limit, or a woman putting on makeup, or someone reading a paper, watching a dvd, or a professional trucker busy peeing in a coke bottle.

And here in Florida, the stereotypical little old men and women, can barely see over the steering wheel, going 35 in a 50 zone. Or the moron in his giant truck tailgating you with his brights on cause he doesn't think you are going fast enough.

You know these people have been driving for years, how long before they are competent?
What vehicle are you driving to be able to see the trucker peeing in a coke bottle? Or are you the trucker…

I don't think there is a set number..

You would think more dives means more competency, but I've seen divers that say they've been diving for 30 years be less competent than a first year diver

I don't think there is a set number..

You would think more dives means more competency, but I've seen divers that say they've been diving for 30 years be less competent than a first year diver
Yep... some people have 20 years experience and others have 1 year experience 20 times.

Yep... some people have 20 years experience and others have 1 year experience 20 times.
And some people have 20 years of experience without improving. Not nice following some people round a wreck; better to get in front of them and get the visibility.

It’s impossible for me to vote honestly on this poll. Though, I think the 100+ is closest.

Way too much individual variability. Some divers take to it very quickly, almost like second nature to them. Those divers may be competent well before 100 dives. Other divers will never be truly competent autonomous divers.

Took me about 20 before I actually saw the fish :) About 50 before I was comfy with my buoyancy and maybe 100 before I decided I could go anywhere and dive without fear.

How many dives does it take for one to be competent?​

Could be a few dives, could be never. If somebody has not hurt themselves in 100 dives, that is a good indication they are somewhat competent. However, if they have all been bathtub dives (quarries and things like that) with no diversity of conditions and environment and still rely on others to guide and mentor them, well, then no they are not.

I have had divers who have been diving for 30 years tell me something like, "well, my instructor says (said)" and my response is my instructor is dead of old age. I decide for myself based on my experience and knowledge, not what an instructor may have said to me 44 years ago. In other words, at some point you become the master and I do not mean a silly card proclaiming Master Diver, but master of your destiny. Some divers are always seeking their next mentor, I would say when you do not need a mentor anymore.

N

Back
Top Bottom