How many divers are dog lovers/owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our crab loving Hounds

Attachments

• DSC00882 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00882 (Medium).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 41
Here's Mika, my ~6 yo yellow lab. A friend took her in as a stray off the street. Once he gave up looking for her owners (apparently she'd been beaten in the past so he didn't try too hard to send her back to that home), he gave her to me since he already had 2 of his own. Vet estimated that she was about 10 months at the time & I've had her for about 5 years now.
micacochayuyolz3.jpg

Checking out the waves before a swim:
micaposerii4.jpg

Fishing in a tidepool:
im000345ub4.jpg

and today's (a couple of years ago) catch, a clingfish:
im000343mq8.jpg

Yes she actually caught the fish in that pool. She stuck her whole head in the water in order to get at it. Pretty much just her tail was sticking out of the water.

anything will work as a toy for her, even old plastic bottles:
mika07wt5.jpg

As for leaving her, it's not so much of a problem for me. She usually comes to work with me everyday (I have a dog-friendly workplace) and when I leave town, I have a several friends that also have dogs and we trade off dogsitting.

Hey TStormdiver, you probably won't believe it, but everyone says that. But, Apollo is a German bred Great Dane. He comes from one of the top lines in Germany and was bred into the top Polish line in Europe. I have always had Danes, but they were American dogs. American Danes are really petit compared to European Danes. Since I'm here, Apollo came from Romanov Kennels in Germany. They are enormous. I have had Mastiffs too. You know, Danes were developed in Germany from Mastiffs and Wolfhounds.

And my boy is all Mastiff temperment! He is the sweetest sap. And then he stands on your foot.... I'd rather drop a tank on mine.

JUDE1417, I would LOVE to see my boy and a crab. I bet that never gets old.

No I don't have my new puppy just yet. I picked her out & paid for her last week. I am leaving for a diving trip on Fri. for a week. The breeder is going to hang on to her until I return. I didn't want to shock her with taking her home & then leaving. I will pick her up the day after I get back. I will need to pick up supplies. Let's see,... leash, collar, toys, bed &.....! I'm sooooo excited. It's been awful quiet & lonely without a canine companion.

Sorry about the mix up on you puppy's breed. He does look an awful lot like a Mastiff. Yes, I do know that both Great Danes & even St Bernards come out of Mastiffs. I will admit, though I didn't know there were different varieties of Danes. They are of the Mosseler(sp?) type dog. I bet he IS quite a sweetie! He is beautiful

Two labs for me; chocolate and a yeller. I couldnt imagine my life without them. They actually are one of the only reasons I dont travel more than I do. I would be happiest if they could travel with me. Luckily I have a friend, old roommate, who loves them and is always thrilled to keep them

No I don't have my new puppy just yet. I picked her out & paid for her last week. I am leaving for a diving trip on Fri. for a week. The breeder is going to hang on to her until I return. I didn't want to shock her with taking her home & then leaving. I will pick her up the day after I get back. I will need to pick up supplies. Let's see,... leash, collar, toys, bed &.....! I'm sooooo excited. It's been awful quiet & lonely without a canine companion.

Sorry about the mix up on you puppy's breed. He does look an awful lot like a Mastiff. Yes, I do know that both Great Danes & even St Bernards come out of Mastiffs. I will admit, though I didn't know there were different varieties of Danes. They are of the Mosseler(sp?) type dog. I bet he IS quite a sweetie! He is beautiful

I completely understand. The German bred Danes are much closer to the Mastiff head look. That's why I love them so much! Yeah, it's not so much a variety but the differences in breeding stock. You can really tell it if you browse the European Kennel sites and then the American ones. Our American danes tend to look much more slim and without the blocky head that distinguishes a Dane. And the US is the only country that still allows ear cropping. Also, Danes come in a rainbow of colors. Black, Blue, HArlequin(the white with black splotches), Mantle(looks like a Boston Terrier coloration of black and white), fawn(tan with black mask), and my favorite- Brindle..... See, taste the rainbow.

Yeah, your pup will be much happier with his litter than alone. How much money do you want to bet that he will be in your bed not his those first nights??? I never could resist. Best cuddles in the world. Of course, Pollo now has a queen sized futon mattress that he sleeps on beside my bed. He's just way too big to fit with us.:D

How much money do you want to bet that he will be in your bed not his those first nights??? I never could resist. Best cuddles in the world.
You've got that pegged down perfectly.:D Since I have a big bed all to myself, she will probably become a fixture on it, like my lab I had before.

I just called the breeder last night to check up on her. She's doing great! Her litter mate is going to it's new home today. So it will just be my Magic, her mom & the breeder's family.

Awwww, I can't wait for you to get back from your holiday! I want to see the new baby :)

And both of our girls sleep on the bed at various times during the night LOL It gets crowded, especially in winter when we usually at least two of the three cats in with us, too :D

Back
Top Bottom