How long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langs15

Reaction score
Ok,

My dad hasn't dived for like 4 years or 3. Since he died two years ago, and I am getting to the point to get my license(waited abit after I was eliglbe to get it.), could I still use them? SHould I go to a Dive shopa nd get them check out or what? If it matters to anyone, if they ask, I will go get the same and stuff of them. Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about your dad. Carrying on with something that certainly gave him joy is a special thing .

As for the gear..
The regualtor and BC should go to the shop for a servicing. Tiime and comtaminants can take a toll so do not dive the gear until it has been serviced. The regulators will get rebuilt. The BC will get inspected and the inflator valve will probably be cleaned out and relubed. $100. is a fair round number depending on brand, model and your shop. Be sure it's a shop that carries the brand.

If cylinders are involved they will at least need the annual (VIP) inspections and may need to get a hydrostatic test if it's over 5 years since the last date stamped in the crown.

Pete

THe shop does service the brand he had, the tanks are the biggest you can get or the secound biggest, they are the ones that can't rust and are 20 years old. THanks for the info, if any more please tell!

Mmm hard to say from the pictures but they look like steel 72s. Can't rust? May have been referring to the hot dipped galvanized exterior. Internal rust can still happen but may not be terminal if present.

Biggest? The photo does not do them justice then.

Pete

The tanks do apear to be steel 72's. They should have 3AA stamped around the top. They should also have the pressure stamped there. It will probally be 2250 but could be 2150 or 1800. I do have a concern. It appears that there is a LOT of corrosion around the tank boot. You should remove the boot & check it. If there are any deep pits under the boot, the tanks probally won't pass inspection. It depends on how deep they are & how many there are.

well, they're big for me since the last time I was in a dive shop and saw some tanks was like 4+ years ago...

It's a 2250 or 2150, will go odwn stairs to check, and when I am down there will check the bottom of the tank.

EVERYONE turn on OLN and root for the NEW JERSEY DEVILS in OT!

I jsut went down, there are NO pits on the tank, only tiny tiny ones, but I think those are normal....it says....DOT3AA2250 so I guess they are the 2250's....

That one is only one of the maybe 6 he has, and those are aroudn the house somwhere, and might be bigger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom