How long to wait after wisdom teeth removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Folks,
I need to have a couple of wisdom teeth removed this summer and just wondering how long to wait before diving again?

May want to ask in the medical forum for fact-based answers. I personally, based on absolutely no evidence or investigation, would at least wait until the stitches are out. After that it would likely depend on how I felt and how i appeared to be healing.

I'd be interested to know what complications might arise from diving with fresh wisdom teeth removal though (though mine are long gone). I would think the biggest would be discomfort from the reg mouthpiece.

i had a great time getting 6 wisdom teeth extracted (had 2 extra molars!), one of which was impacted pretty badly. during my follow up about 2 weeks after the surgery, my doctor said i would be absolutely ok to dive. i still waited another couple weeks because i didn't want to risk biting down too much and bleeding all over my reg, but i would say anywhere from 2-4 weeks would be more than enough time. i would suggest having a follow up with your doctor, though, just to make sure you don't have any complications that might prevent you from diving.

I was told about 3 weeks by my surgeon. Seemed quite ok to me except if you end up having a nasty dry socket complication...

My surgeon wanted a week and I complied. All was fine thereafter. 1st time was for 1 tooth, the second time the other 3.

Thanks well fortunately for me, I was born with only 2 wisdom teeth and so will check with the oral surgeon on it. I will allocate a month for recovery before scuba to be on the safe side. So, I am planning this after my two big dive trips to the Caribbean. Then can do the wisdom surgery and wait a month before resuming dives.

Folks,
I need to have a couple of wisdom teeth removed this summer and just wondering how long to wait before diving again?

may i ask why do you need to have them removed?

the reason i ask is that some dentists believe in just taking them out even if there are no issues and that's just wrong afaic

i thought this may be useful

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Diving_and_Wisdom_Teeth

Guidelines for diving after most dental surgery include waiting for:

1) A minimum of four to six weeks or until the tooth socket or oral tissue has sufficiently healed to minimize the risk of infection or further trauma;
2) Medication to control pain resulting from the surgery has been discontinued and there is no risk of drug interaction with nitrogen; and
3) The diver can hold the regulator mouthpiece without pain or discomfort for a period of time sufficient to perform a planned scuba dive.

Last edited:
The reason why my dentist insists on wisdom teeth removal is that they are erupting and causing problems with my gums and would be best removed.
It will be easier to clean my other teeth that way. So I am timing my dive trips around the oral surgery. Figure have them done with in August then ugh I need to have braces later this year! Not fun!

---------- Post added April 14th, 2012 at 09:25 AM ----------

Found this just now from DAN:
DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

that's a good reason to remove them, not fun but better now than too late

good luck!

Had 2 out on a wed, was on a plane on friday to go on vacation in Mexico. Dentist said do what you gotta do, but if you start having complications with the healing you'll be looking for a Dentist in Mexico. No complications, the holes had pretty much fully healed up before the end of the vacation. I think salt water was good for the healing :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom